Panic During Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has been bought up already, and it wasn't the first, but the second ow dive, just the first one with this instructor. :)

It doesn't really matter if it was the first or second or third dive. This isn't a certified diver, it is a trainee trying to get certified. I think the worst thing you can do under these circumstances is fail to discourage panic. If it isn't going well then try to help the situation, not push the envelope. During my open water cert I had trouble during sharing air (in a dark, cold quarry in a 7 mil suit - not quite the same experience as the pool I trained in) and thankfully my instructor was calm, cool and collected and turned my panic into confidence. I learned that panic was dangerous and useless - and he taught me how to coup with it in a positive way. Thanks to his training I learned how to handle difficult situations without panic - that is what a good instructor can do.

I don't even know what to say!!! I hope this experience doesn't stop you from diving because the only one missing out will be you!! I promise there is better instructors out there!! I'm dumbfounded!!

I blame the instructor. He is the one that is comfortable in the water, not the student. If the student can not get the octo within 30 seconds, the instructor damn well better get it for the student as full blown panic, and a bad situation can quickly follow.

Having problems in a 10' pool is rarely fatal. Having problems at 15 feet is also not generally a receipt for disaster, but it could be.

Find a more empathetic instructor.

I'm surprised that the instructor had you take the reg out of your mouth before getting to octo in your hand.

I recall my OW instructor being pretty emphatic on the point that you never take the reg out your mouth unless you have something else to breathe on for the simple reason that as you ascend you may get a few more breaths from an otherwise OOA tank.

This instructor seems to have a complete disregard for the safety of his students.

Sorry to revive an older thread, but there's something in the OP that I am fuzzy on.

MiG29, you say that you had to get to your instructor's octo and unclip it yourself? Is that how air share/buddy breathing is taught by PADI?

I am currently doing my NAUI certification, so I can only speak for that. While doing reg retrieval, my instructor had his octo in his hand, and he briefed me beforehand to take it if I needed it. When we practiced buddy breathing, the person who wasn't OOA would take their octo and give it to the other person. I am sure that it can't hurt to know where your buddy's octo is and how to get hold of it in an emergency, but as a complete newbie? I wouldn't have gone down a second time with that instructor.

Instructors are human. Some are good at what they do and some are terrible. The terrible one's can put your life in danger or at least make your diving experience miserable. You are a beginner. You are suppose to make mistakes. That is how we learn. The instructor is there to teach, instruct, and provide a supporting and safe environment. Your instructor should not be an instructor. Just because he has a piece of paper that says he is an instructor, it does not make him a real life instructor. Your OOA sequence was out of order but so what. He should have taught you. He made the following mistakes: 1. When someone is out of air you always assist them until they are breathing comfortably. He failed when he did not help not you. 2. Your sequence was not in order. He failed again when observing the first time, he did not instruct you on the proper sequence. 3. He failed again when he failed to assist you the second time. 4. He failed you a fourth time when he did a night dive on an OW certification training. That is for the advanced class. 5. He failed a fifth time by not having proper lighting. I always carry a light. Everyone should have had a main light, a backup light, and a light or glow stick in your tank. 6. He failed you a sixth time when he left you alone. Buddy Diving is essential for safe diving. You are backup for each other. This instructor is a total failure and should not teach. He puts his students in danger. I would never dive with him even recreationally. Who needs a reckless, careless, and inconsiderate Buddy Diver. The good that can come from this is that you survived a very stressful situation. You became thoughtful and searched for solutions. You did not panic. You learned that you must trust yourself over an idiot. I hope a future student of his yanks out his regulator (pulling out some teeth) and gives him a good kick in the crotch. I mean that in a nice way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom