Papua New Guinea vaccinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am traveling on the Peter Hughes Star Dancer in April, 2010. I want to know which vaccinations some of you who've been there might have gotten before you leave. I read the CDC's website and some of the info was along the lines of, "it depends on where you go". I will only be staying at Walindi Resort one night and the Star Dancer liveaboard might take us ashore one day to a villiage to meet the locals. Yellow fever, malaria pills (taken before, during, and after the trip), hepatitis A and B, tetanus, and MMR.

Are any of these unnecessary?

P.S. Peter Hughes diving just discounted their rates and did a bring a buddy week for my charter (4/23-5/3)...who wants to come with?

The decision to take any of these meds is very personal. Here is what I decided to do. I got a script for Malarone for malaria. Once I got to Walindi, never saw a mossie once while there. No bugs. Don't know if it was the time of year or what but not a problem. None on the boat of course. Although I suppose there is a risk of Hep from the food handlers, I think that risk is every where,even here in the US. Once I got on the boat, I stopped taking the malarone because it made me have really wierd dreams.

You will be flying from Australia, (no malaria risk) to PNG. Spending one night at a nice resort ( never saw a bug) getting on the boat (out to sea no problems) coming back to land and flying out. Wear bug repellant and you will be fine......

Just my opinion..

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom