Papua New Guinea vaccinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tea Tree Oil the highest % solution you can find.
Apply undiluted three times a day.

Hi marinediva,

A body of published, modern, scientific evidence supporting the medicinal use of tea tree oil does not yet exist. For example, see the following Tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia [Maiden & Betche] Cheel) - MayoClinic.com. There certainly is no science supporting its use in treating suppurative bacterial infections of the feet.

In addition, it can cause an allergic contact dermatitis in some individuals and the higher the % solution the more likely such will occur.

Regards,

DocVikingo

PS: I'm all for alternative and complementary medicine, but only where there is reasonable science supporting its efficacy.

Hi DocVikingo

Whilst I agree, the scientific community is still out to lunch on the effectiveness of its use, it certainly does not mean it does not work.

I do remember reading some time ago about a strain of Tea Tree plant that was being developed that was less likely to have a adverse reaction to the skin.

Some years ago I was taught its use by an indigenous woman, who used the bark straight off the tree. It is also interesting that it was used during WW2 by both American and Australian forces and supplied in first aid kits. Whilst I appreciate and understand a medical position of lack of studies, I don't feel I need a study to tell me if it works.

Seems to me that natural herbal remedy treatments are alternative only until they are 'discovered' by a pharmaceutical company. That is when the money can be directed into studies which do show its effectiveness.

Time-kill studies of tea tree oils on clinical isolates -- May et al. 45 (5): 639 -- Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy

Thanks for the info
MD

Hi marine diva,

That appears to be a well done study published in a high quality journal and consistent with others that have demonstrated certain antimicrobial properties of tea tree oil in the laboratory context. It does suggest potential promise.

However, it belabors the obvious to say that it's a very a long leap from demonstrating bactericidal effect on a few specified clinical isolates in laboratory flasks to establishing efficacy in human beings with chronic suppurative infections of the feet. The history of pharmacology is littered with preparations that looked promising in culture vessels and mice, but never showed real value in trials with humans.

The Australian government did consider tea tree oil an essential for WWII armed forces' first aid kits, and it was found in the kits of American and Brisith troops as well. However, as best as I am able to determine tea tree oil was included due to a belief that it had antiseptic/antifungal properties, not because it had been proved to cure established bacterial infections.

It also should be mentioned that while the first antibiotics were prescribed in the late 1930s, it wasn't until 1941 that a form of penicillin was developed for treating bacterial infections in humans, and penicillin wasn't available for widespread use until the mid-40s. And sophisticated, large scale antibiotic research and development didn't really take off until after WWII. Tea tree oil quickly dropped out of military first aid kits once effective antibiotics became widely available.

That you don't feel you need a study to tell you if a medication works is entirely your prerogative. Others may wish to be more circumspect before applying or ingesting substances that are as of yet of scientifically unproven usefulness in treating their condition.

Finally, to state that "... the scientific community is still out to lunch on the effectiveness of its use, it certainly does not mean it does not work" strikes me as derogatory. I suggest that a more accurate representation of the matter is that the scientific community still is researching tea tree oil and the medical jury still is out on its use in humans.

Regards,

DocVikingo

hI Doc

Thanks for the reply, I apologise if my remark came across as derogatory, certainly did not mean to project that way.

I did realise the link was to lab reports and not actual trials. In searching for that I did come across a link to the University of WA which may change that position in time.
UWA Tea Tree Oil Research Group - TTO home

I do understand what you are saying regarding testing, I am just a bit cynical when it comes to motivation or lack of. You are correct that maybe I should not suggest the use of Tea Tree Oil simply because it is not approved. But then when I think of that I really struggle.

Suppose it is very difficult for this earth mother who was taught its use by female elders and has seen the results first hand to not want to share.

In any case, I certainly enjoy reading the information I have found in replying to this thread.
Thankyou

Epc

Not a problem, EPC. I've found the discussion informative, stimulating and polite.

Regards,

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom