Parking in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
To make it easier for people to find info via searches ect.
(Keep it on topic please)

For parking at the Breakwater (San Carlos Beach)

It's $1.50 per hour and $10.00 per day. The ticket dispenser is at the corner of the entrance to the lower Breakwater lot. There is also a change machine. For all day parking you have to keep hitting "add" on the time until it maxes out. When they changed the software a bunch of us guys on BA_diving emailed the city to change it and have the "Whole Day" option easier to find... it might be time to let our voices heard again.

There's also a meter in the top lot.

To make it easier for people to find info via searches ect.
(Keep it on topic please)

For parking at the Breakwater (San Carlos Beach)

It's $1.50 per hour and $10.00 per day. The ticket dispenser is at the corner of the entrance to the lower Breakwater lot. There is also a change machine. For all day parking you have to keep hitting "add" on the time until it maxes out. When they changed the software a bunch of us guys on BA_diving emailed the city to change it and have the "Whole Day" option easier to find... it might be time to let our voices heard again.

Whole day has been the default for quite a while. You then hit
"Less" to get it down to what you want. I don't care (I always
get "All day") but I suppose it would be good if there was a
"Lots Less" button.

And the machine takes plastic.

If you park at metered spots in Monterey where a change machine is not convenient, you may look in to getting a parking smart card - it is prepaid card for adding time on to meters.

City of Monterey | Parking Division | Smart Parkcards

From the website:
Smart Parkcards

ParkcardThe City of Monterey Parking Division employs the latest in parking technology by offering Smart Parkcards for use at all of the meters located within the City. No longer will you have to look between your car seat for those extra quarters. The Parkcard, which resembles a phone card, is encoded with a computer chip that enables the public to purchase a pre-determined amount of parking ($10, $25, $50 and $100) for use at the meters. To use it a person inserts the card in the slot on the meter. The meter will first show the amount of credit left on the card and then every couple of seconds 25-cent increments are subtracted. Once the desired time is achieved the card is removed. The card is valid until all the credit has been used up. The cards are nonrefundable and have no expiration date. However, if you lose the card it is the same as losing cash. For more information call the Parking Division at 646.3953.

Purchase your Smart Parkcard at the following locations:
Parking Division Business Office
340 Tyler Street
Mon. - Fri. 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Harbormaster Office
Del Monte & Figueroa Street
7 Days a Week, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Cannery Row Garage
601 Wave Street
Daily: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
$10 & $25 Parkcards Only

If you park at metered spots in Monterey where a change machine is not convenient, you may look in to getting a parking smart card - it is prepaid card for adding time on to meters.

City of Monterey | Parking Division | Smart Parkcards

From the website:
Smart Parkcards

ParkcardThe City of Monterey Parking Division employs the latest in parking technology by offering Smart Parkcards for use at all of the meters located within the City. No longer will you have to look between your car seat for those extra quarters. The Parkcard, which resembles a phone card, is encoded with a computer chip that enables the public to purchase a pre-determined amount of parking ($10, $25, $50 and $100) for use at the meters. To use it a person inserts the card in the slot on the meter. The meter will first show the amount of credit left on the card and then every couple of seconds 25-cent increments are subtracted. Once the desired time is achieved the card is removed. The card is valid until all the credit has been used up. The cards are nonrefundable and have no expiration date. However, if you lose the card it is the same as losing cash. For more information call the Parking Division at 646.3953.

Purchase your Smart Parkcard at the following locations:
Parking Division Business Office
340 Tyler Street
Mon. - Fri. 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Harbormaster Office
Del Monte & Figueroa Street
7 Days a Week, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Cannery Row Garage
601 Wave Street
Daily: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
$10 & $25 Parkcards Only

I wanted to point out something that Bruce pointed out to me as well. The smart cards are more expensive if you plan to stay more than 6/7 hours than just getting the all day pass. Plus you run the risk of running out of time.

Also some people I was with a few weeks back got courtesy citations for having the parking pass facing the wrong way, not upside down. Granted I don't know which way is right and which is wrong, I thought that was a little excessive.

Back
Top Bottom