Passport question for Coz/Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This past spring, only a month or so before gong to Cozumel, my son realized his passport had actually expired. He sent it in, not realizing there was an expedited system he could have paid for. He assumed he would have to cancel the trip, but he got it back in plenty of time.

There is a reciprocal agreement called 6 month club (http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov...lentin_04162008.ctt/clp_bulletin_04162008.pdf) Generally the US has agreements with the countries listed that extendeds the validity for 6 months beyond intended stay requirement. So long as your planned departure is before your passport expires you're normally good. Of course it's up to the immigration officials at the time of entry. The best place for you to check to get a definitive answer would be with the Mexican consulate.
Not being allowed to board would be bad, but not as bad as arriving in Mexico and being denied entry.

Just noticed that our 15 y/o sons passport expires on Sept. 5 2012. He, I and mom are flying in to Coz on Aug. 24 and departing Aug. 31 2012.
Anybody foresee any issues?
I know some countries officially need a 6 month overlap to issue a visa (not usually strictly enforced but I'll bet they would frown on 5 days). Have looked at the mexico and usa websites and not seen a necessity but wondering if anybody has experience that would suggest I should start hustling my butt off (would be a tremendous inconvenience) to renew his passport before we go.

Flash Update: Gave in to the anxiety, sucked it up and just finished a few hours of paperwork and 4 hundred bucks to expedite the passport. First thing tomorrow morning we go to the local municipal building with both parents and half an inch of paperwork, photograph our future rock star (if we can get him out of bed), sign a few papers in front of the clerk and bundle the whole thing off overnight to Houston.
Anxiety:1
Sim :0

Flash Update: Gave in to the anxiety, sucked it up and just finished a few hours of paperwork and 4 hundred bucks to expedite the passport. First thing tomorrow morning we go to the local municipal building with both parents and half an inch of paperwork, photograph our future rock star (if we can get him out of bed), sign a few papers in front of the clerk and bundle the whole thing off overnight to Houston.
Anxiety:1
Sim :0
If you are traveling within 14 days you could make an appointment with the Passport Facility near you (Schedule an Appointment at a Regional Passport Agency) and get the passport right away.
Of course you may have already reviewed all these options...Processing Times

My wife and I did expiated passports before they raised the prices back in 2010 cost was $403.00 for both including photos at the post office. Later I found out we had enough time because passports now days take far less time then they used to in the early 90's when I got my first one took 3 months I think. From what your saying it is now $400 for 1 person I'm sure glad they last 10 years now my old one I think was 5 years.

My wife and I did expiated passports before they raised the prices back in 2010 cost was $403.00 for both including photos at the post office. Later I found out we had enough time because passports now days take far less time then they used to in the early 90's when I got my first one took 3 months I think. From what your saying it is now $400 for 1 person I'm sure glad they last 10 years now my old one I think was 5 years.

I think he used an expidite service.. Current fees, including the $60 expidete fee, total $225 person. Then one has to pay for overnighting both ways.

The Consulate in Cozumel, Playa, and Merida also have the ability, if I recall right, to renew passports.

---------- Post Merged at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:57 AM ----------

The only issue per this thread is airline permission for the departure flight from the USA. It takes a looong vacation to renew from Cozumel -- the procedure is for extended-stay visitors, residents, and those who have lost their passports.

the procedure can be used by any american citizen if they have to use it. I actually was in Playa recently and asked that question long before this thread came up. I was told that Consulate services are available to all US Citizens. Yes it takes about a week, or so a close friend, who recently went thru the renewal process in Merida. Extended stay is a subjective term. YMMV :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom