Patching small tear in neoprene drysuit seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Outbound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On my last dive I discovered a small tear in the neoprene wrist seal of my drysuit. It's an L-shaped tear about a centimeter wide, on the inside of the seal, and it goes down to the outer stretch fabric layer but not all the way down if that makes any sense. In other words, it's tearing into the neoprene seal, but does not go all the way through it. Last night I put a small amount of neoprene cement over it, waited for it to get tacky, and then squeezed all the edges together and rigged up a system to hold everything in place while it dried overnight. This morning I dabbed a little more cement over the entire area.

My question is, will this be enough or should I use some sort of patch to cover the area I repaired? If so, what material should I use? I assume it needs to be stretchy. I can cut a Lycra patch out of an old rashguard or pair of cycling shorts and glue it over the tear, but is that necessary? Or would something like Iron Mend be better? If so, would I iron it on or glue it on, seeing as the tear is on the soft inside part of the seal and not the outer layer of the suit?

It should be good, don’t use a Lycra patch as it won’t do any good.

Great. Thanks for the response.

Back
Top Bottom