Patoka Lake, Southern Indiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KWK

New
Reaction score
Has anyone looked at diving Patoka Lake in southern Indiana? It is a Corps of Engineers project but does look pretty clear when we've been there camping.

Hmmm.. I sure haven't. Do you have any information about diving there!?!?
Hey btw... you live in Tipton? We are almost neighbors! :) What dive club(s) are you affliliated with!?!?!

I dove there 20 years ago, at one time you could see the foundations of buildings that the lake flooded over. I would think it is still "dive-able", just not sure about the boat traffic? Would most even know what a dive flag is?

Don't know about the lake for diving access, just remember it looked far better than most lakes of Corps of Engineers projects. I've dove several of the Northern Indiana natural lakes and some were quite good viz.

Yes, Tipton County resident, used to hang out with the Kokomo Fathoms Masters dive club when I started diving. Our kids grew up with all the members kids going to the club activities. Still dive some of the local quarries and trips to FL cave diving.

Very cool! I am part of the Kokomo Fathom masters Club too! Hmmmm... Did I possibly meet you at Gilboa one day a few years back and there was a tornado warning/watch and they made all of us go up front and some started to climb into the storm shelter there underground?? I was with Terri and Cathy Jo

Yes, that was I there that day. Gilboa is my most frequent diving destination (wish it weren't such a distant drive of 3 hrs), lots there to do and see, and outstanding viz for inland diving. Florida cave diving is my favorite destination, but that drive limits the opportunities for visits there.

Be careful diving any of those lakes -- if they aren't opened specifically for scuba you can get one hell of a ticket and your gear confiscated for 'evidence'. Lake Monroe where I used to live (Bloomington) is completely off limits because of depth, nastiness, drinking reservoir status, etc. Check with DNR to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom