Paul Watson (Sea Shepherd) needs to man up!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey cdreamer...I know how you feel. I actually donated money to his campaign, made about 100 phone calls a week from Ecuador and voted for him twice. All firsts for me. Yes, that quote has been used in quite a few places as a reminder (Pierce Brosnan on Huffington Post for one), but the official spin builds the case that controlled hunting will decrease the numbers being slaughtered now. I also read where someone had the audacity to intimate that US debt to Japan might just factor in.

Maybe I am naive - but I am still hopeful. It's not a done deal. Japan doesn't like the deal
much and it's just a bad deal in general because it looks to me like it still doesn't prevent
"scientific whaling" or trade. It just doesn't make any sense and there is no real reason the
Japanese have to honor it. It still has "loopholes".

Hey cdreamer...I know how you feel. I actually donated money to his campaign, made about 100 phone calls a week from Ecuador and voted for him twice. ...
Don't mean to side-track, but; I don't understand this clearly? You voted for Obama twice? (Presidential Election x 2), or (Pres. Election once and Senator once)? I'm having a "duh" moment. :D

captain seems nutty but he's for sure more effective than lawyers...can't imagine trusting them to really stop much

Are you still young and naive? I just noticed you were female. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I am young and naive still. Yes I am female.

But this is the same with any similar organisation. I've spent ten years in the military and apart from being all-but free of corruption (that all happens at Ministry of Defence and Government level!!) most of that is true. Different leaders adopt different leadership styles. In the military you offer an alternative idea but if your leader decides against using it, you just do what you can to make their idea work. The chain-of-command is there for a very good reason. This is the same as Sea Shepherd, and this is why Sea Shepherd are so effective. They really are, by the way.

I do not think they are effective.

You and I (I think it was you anyway) have been over this already, five or six pages back. I disagree that issues can't be solved by direct action.

Some issues can be solved with direct action. But you need to be more powerful than what you are fighting against. Puny little boats against a whaling fleet is going to do sweet FA.

Anyway, you're definitely right about police/military being able to quash any movement in seconds. Look no further than the Tianamen Square massacre or the recent comandeering of an aid ship by the Israeli military. Unfortunately, without whole populations behind such movements, you're always going to be up against overwhelming odds. This just makes organisations like Sea Shepherd look even more impressive. Of course they could turn up with guns and grenades like the whalers do, but then people are definitely going to die.

Why are they impressive? Look what happened to their boat. It makes them look pathetic.

This is as much terrorism as anything Sea Shepherd have done. Sea Shepherd have not once threatened to kill anybody. Ever. It wasn't you who suggested SS were terrorists, I believe it was Fire Diver or something.

I don't think Sea Shepherds are terrorists

Sas, you asked about what laws were being broken. Besides the obvious, it's against the
law to refuel in a sanctuary and to dispel waste in a sanctuary. Your country is taking
them to court so you probably already knew that.

Can you please quote the law? I don't actually know if it is or is not. Refueling is not whaling though. If that is illegal then this does not make whaling illegal.

I became a Sea Shepherd supporter 6-7 years ago. At that time I found it shocking
how few people really knew what was going on with regards to whaling. Now you would
be hard pressed to find anyone who did not know what was happening. You may call them
lame, and you are entitled you opinion, but Sea Shepherd has been hugely successful
in shining a light on the subject. That is indisputable. You don't have to like them
but without them we wouldn't be having this discussion.
You can be a cheerleader for Japan all that you want. I appreciate your tenacity.
In that aspect we are alike - just rooting for different teams.
My donation will go to "Operation Blue Rage" in your honor. Now that tuna season ended
early - the fun begins. Look out poachers - Sea Shepherds coming to get ya!

I am not a cheerleader for Japan. I would stop Japan whaling if I could. My problem with Sea Shepherd is that I think they are ultimately responsible for more whales dying than if they had found other methods to protest.

The moratorium will supported once again Sunday January 20th 2013...

And what is your point?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom