Paying for dives in Mexico: Paypal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timetraveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is is common for dive operations and other businesses in Mexico to process credit card payments through Paypal? How does it work, if not paying in advance (before leaving home)?
What's the best way to pay for dives? It sounds as if the best exchange rates and lowest fees are to be had by getting pesos from an ATM, but wouldn't that be too much cash to carry around?

Most businesses there have not heard of paypal. Best bet is to pay using your credit card the normal way. Carry some cash for tips and snacks a such but the Better dive ops are used to dealing with the Norte Americanos and will gladly take your Plastic.

I do know that Manta Divers, in Cabo, require a $50 deposit for diving and request that it be payed using PayPal.

I don't know if it's common, but the dive ops that I dive with in Riviera Maya and Cozumel take PayPal and I appreciate the convenience and ease. Much better than running to the ATM and pulling out cash.

Have a great time.

Not from Coz, but we charge thru paypal and for us, as a business, it works much better than the regular CC payment...it is in our account immediately - not like when dealing with CC companies. We can easily refund if a person cancels and if it is a verified member we know that we'll get our money. Paypal is a great way to pay.

Most of the operators will take your CC, now PAypal is pretty good for the business owner but if you do not have an account with PP, pay with your normal plastic, plus is always the best rate, make sure to bring some extra cash on the side, you may need to buy your own water or you may want to get some snacks between dives and do not forget the most important part to tip the crew.

Enjoy your trip! Dive Safe

Actually, you are now able to send a paypal invoice to customers even if they don't have a paypal account. They pay with their CC - just like they would with any other online company.

I don't know what Paypal's policy is on exchange rates. But if you pay with a regular CC, then you get the current Bank Exchange rate - from the open market, rather than the posted rate you can find at a bank on the street. In general, you get a better deal this way, since you don't have to use a third party (Cambio) to exchange your money for a profit (to them).

I just got back from Coz. They wanted to add a 15% surcharge to use a credit card. Something about taxes and hidden income. PayPal sounds pretty good.

Jerryg:
I just got back from Coz. They wanted to add a 15% surcharge to use a credit card. Something about taxes and hidden income. PayPal sounds pretty good.
Legally - as far as MC/Visa, AMEX and Discover goes (with their "law" not really law, but as fas as CC acceptance policy which all merchants must sign before they can accept cards)... merchants (payees) are NOT allowed to charge any fees to the customer (payer) for using a credit card. It is a clear violation of CC acceptance policy, and if you complained to the card issuer, the merchant could lose acceptance privileges. Pay Pal also charges the payee a fee since they are a 3rd party accepter, and they are allowed to pass along the acceptance fees.
As a merchant, you have to pay the fees, as a "cost of doing business" - most merchants pay 1.5 - 3.5% on credit cards, and additionally most pay a 10-30 cent per transaction flat fee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom