"pcif found on com 1" message from suunto dive manager

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try to locate version 1.4... a quick google search should find a site that has it available. 1.4 doesn't have the bugs that 1.5 seems to. If you're pc is set up right, it will work with either version of divemanager. Chances are that you have a conflict somewhere. If you're not a computer expert, you may have to seek one out. V 1.5 will not find the interface regardless of the computer... but it will transfer data even though it does not find the interface if you have everything set up correctly. I would also try reinstalling divemanager. The reason why suunto doesn't offer a usb interface is that they would really have to just about do a complete redesign of the actual interface which isn't the best idea for them considering we can buy an adapter for about $5. When they designed the interface, all computers had serial ports and less than half probably had usb ports. The software as well as the interface are set up for serial ports so I'm sure its not worth their time to change everything when there is a cheap alternative. It isn't suunto's fault that computer makers started leaving off serial ports ya know...

I tend to think your problem has something to do with the palm software since you did have it installed. Rest assured, the problem is probably pretty simple and its most likely that something is set wrong on your pc. Thats just my experience from dealing with a great number of people that have experienced problems using my interface (and suunto's).

quick, simple, stupid question... are you absolutely sure that you have transfer mode selected? I've had people pull up the transfer screen and not select it. If there's a 3 on the screen then you're not in transfer mode.... just checking the simple stuff... thats usually where we trip up. good luck

Definitely pay attention to BOTH of Jamie's posts above. I had to download the 1.4 version, and pay attention to make sure the "3" was not there, before everything worked. And once it worked, I was able to upgrade to 1.5.1 and that worked too!

If you need the link to 1.4 PM me...

Keep trying! It will work! No need to curse, the computer can't hear you :biggrin:

cheers,

I'm happy to report that I've experienced the same problems everyone else is having too. I noticed that after upgrading the software, my transfer didn't work.

The interface test reporting "pcif found on com 0/1", depending on whether I had the interface plugged into com1 or com2.

After rechecking and resoldering my cable connector on my home-made interface, and jiggling the watch and rubbing the contacts and almost giving up, it finally just worked.

Two weekends later, I was going through the same thing. Hadn't touched anything, but the transfer still didn't work. All the voltage tests passed with flying colours. This time I resoldered every connection on the circuit board anyway and tried again.

Still didn't work. Then I jiggled the watch. Then I exited the program. Then I rubbed the contacts. Then finally, out of the blue, the little arrows started flashing and I downloaded my dives!

jamiei:
quick, simple, stupid question... are you absolutely sure that you have transfer mode selected? I've had people pull up the transfer screen and not select it. If there's a 3 on the screen then you're not in transfer mode.... just checking the simple stuff... thats usually where we trip up. good luck

Yes...

I tried it on yet ANOTHER comp last night. I lo and Behold, it worked!!! Why it wouldn't with the others, I don't know. That's gotta be a finnicky bit of code.

- PolsVoice.

Well, I had a "local" customer call after I dropped an interface off at his house telling me the interface wouldn't work (with 1.5) on either his home or office pc. I asked the same questions you'll find here and he said he did everything. I showed up and the interface wouldn't work with 1.5... i pointed him to the link for 1.4 and after he downloaded it... it worked just fine. There is something definately screwy with v1.5. This person also had palm software installed on both systems and deleted the palm software while having sdm 1.5 installed. I'm no computer expert, but I feel that something go mixed up during that time somehow because most people don't have any trouble with v1.5 downloading files. The problem that everyone is having is that the software won't acknowledge that it recognizes the interface whether its a suunto interface or a homemade one. Seems that the programmer just made a silly mistake somewhere that seems like it should be easy (for someone who does that kinda stuff... not me) to fix up.

Hi Jamie

If you have a link or a copy of dive manager version 1.4, i would appreciate it greatly!

all the best

Missionman

Back
Top Bottom