PDC hotels-contrast/compare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealskin98

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Of all the times I’ve been to Cozumel I never took the ferry over to Playa del Carmen so am unfamiliar with the city. I’m thinking of doing some cenote diving, along with one or two ocean dives and a tour of Tulum and maybe another ruin. Also take the ferry over to Coz. to visit some friends for an afternoon.

I’d like to stay in PDC for the restaurants and other activities instead of staying in the Akumal or Puerto Aventuras area. The Caribe Blu in Coz. is fine as far as hotel quality goes and since cenotes are the diving an ocean side hotel with pier is not important. Air conditioning is a must (I melt even in the Houston area during the summer, not used to the humidity), and TV and fridge is a plus. Also, this may be another solo trip. The hotels I have been looking at are:

Posada Freud
Posada Mariposa
Hotel Cielo

Looking at probably going next year during the low season. Anyone have any info. on these or other similar hotels?

Of all the times I’ve been to Cozumel I never took the ferry over to Playa del Carmen so am unfamiliar with the city. I’m thinking of doing some cenote diving, along with one or two ocean dives and a tour of Tulum and maybe another ruin. Also take the ferry over to Coz. to visit some friends for an afternoon.

I’d like to stay in PDC for the restaurants and other activities instead of staying in the Akumal or Puerto Aventuras area. The Caribe Blu in Coz. is fine as far as hotel quality goes and since cenotes are the diving an ocean side hotel with pier is not important. Air conditioning is a must (I melt even in the Houston area during the summer, not used to the humidity), and TV and fridge is a plus. Also, this may be another solo trip. The hotels I have been looking at are:

Posada Freud
Posada Mariposa
Hotel Cielo

Looking at probably going next year during the low season. Anyone have any info. on these or other similar hotels?

You might want to look at the Riviera Maya Caribe hotel. A bit further north than the Posada Freud but newer and less mold smell. The other two you mentioned I have never looked at. Another option is the Hotel Lunata. More expensive and the stairs are a real pain with dive gear but a better location on 5th Ave. Get the PDC map from Can-Do Maps and travel guides, it will pay for itself many times over. THE best guide book for the area.

Don't know too much about the Posada Freud or the Posada Mariposa. However, I know the owners of the Hotel Cielo personally. A great hotel with a great staff. I have sent many a diver there. Their rates are great, especially during the off season. If you contact them ask for Russel. Tell him Morgan from Geofish sent you. Good luck.

Thanks Driftwood, Riviera Maya Caribe price range is about right and wondering how it compares to Caribe Blu or Barracuda in Coz. (not taking into account Caribe Blu's or Barracuda's ocean side location)

Thanks too Morgan...also, how does Cielo compare to say Hotel Pepita or Barracuda in Coz.?

Thanks Driftwood, Riviera Maya Caribe price range is about right and wondering how it compares to Caribe Blu or Barracuda in Coz. (not taking into account Caribe Blu's or Barracuda's ocean side location)

Thanks too Morgan...also, how does Cielo compare to say Hotel Pepita or Barracuda in Coz.?

Having been to neither Caribe Blu or Barracuda, it would not be fair for me to comment. The big advantages of the RCM are that it is easy to park close, it is one block off 5th Ave (on the north end) and it is very clean (won awards on that count). The down side of the RCM is that the rooms have all the character of a Motel 6 (unless you get one of the suites), it is on the NORTH end of 5th at Calle 34 while the center of 5th is around Calle 8 to 12.

The problem you are going to face in Playa with your target price range is that a lot of the hotels close to the center of 5th are older and often have a mildew problem. Since my wife is very sensitive to mildew, we stay in the newer hotels. Lot of nice places to stay that are closer but they are a lot more expensive.

You might want to give Heather at Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info a shout. She handles the vacation rentals for that board and lives in Playa. Won't cost you anything to go through her and I know she will do a great job for you.

Back
Top Bottom