PDC Reef Improving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Hatfield

Contributor
Reaction score
Ontario , Canada & Playa del Carmen, Mexico
# of dives
500 - 999
I've noticed a couple of comments on various threads that there is actually more life on the reef with the lack of tourism. Can anyone who has been there recently, and with past experience to compare it to, either confirm or deny this? Anyone have a local/dive op perspective? A little silver lining fall-out from the economy and H1N1 would be a good thing...... What about the Whale Shark Excursions - anyone know or heard what the numbers (tourist and sharks) were like? Holbox or Punta Sam - which is better?

The Reef is really really vibrant right now. I don't know if it is from lack of divers or the water temp and crazy amount of sun we are getting in the rainy season, but it is kickin right now. There is always tons of life here, but to be honest there was a while there were we would dive tortugas and there would be only like 1 or 2 turtles. Now there are 6, 7, 8 turtles a dive and lots of Logger heads. It is just a really nice time to dive right now and you are probably right with your theory of the reef being in better shape because of the lack of traffic.

Punta Sam!!!! Holbox is just such a trek, and in Punta Sam you see the same thing, but in my case more Whale Sharks and 2 pods of Dolphins.

When you get here let crack some superiors open on the deck outside of the shop. See you soon Ed.

Back
Top Bottom