Pdra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba70

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone give me some info on the American quarry that PDRA owns? I'm a new member, but haven't been there yet. Any attractions in the water, facilities etc...

I am a member also but I haven't been to American Quarry yet. I understand that there is very little there. Have you checked the web site? www.ncpdra.org Sorry I haven't added a lot. I do most of my diving at the Lake Norman Quarry.

Butch

The Lake Norman quarry is a bit far for me, but if it is nice I could make the drive. What's there? anything good?

I have dove all three quarries - Blanche, American, and Norman. American is a mud-hole in my opinion. If you like doing dark minimal viz dives, then it is your place. I haven't seen much there, because I don't like diving it.

Blanche is my favorite. During the week, there is very little use of the place - in 2 years, I've only seen divers there twice (again during the work week). Lots to see and do - lots of submerged items (boats, cars, plane, bus, large cylinders, etc, etc, etc.

Norman is nice also. It has quite a bit of the same type of items, but is further for me to drive. I have been there and "played" a bit there when I go camping out that way.

I dive Lake Norman almost every weekend. You can't beat the value if you want to dive alot. I will have to try Blanche, it sounds interesting but never been there.

i dive american quite a bit, the viz usually runs between 10 feet to 20 feet on a good day. There are 3 entry points at American, new gear up bench, changing house, bathrooms and lots of parking. It is seldom crowded, there are lots of underwater attractions, some are in the deep section of the quarry requiring a flashlight but some are with-in the 30 foot depth range. Just off the top of my head, there are 4 - 5 sunken boats, a VW Micro Bus, VW Bug, Railroad cars, several large tanks, mini bus and of course a training platform. There are lots of fish in this quarry, including the elussive albino catfish. Yes american has worse vizability than the other 2 quarries but that is because the PDRA has choosen to invest the majority of its funds into the other 2 quarries and acting like american never even exsisted until this year. If they would have spent the same money at american as they had at the other 2 quarries, then American would be a much better quarry.

Mike, I have not been around for the last two years, but I can tell you that monies spent at the quarries were about the same back then. As a matter of fact you can look at the budgets for the PDRA and see how they spend the money. It's fairly distributed, unless they have to spend additional funds for a safety/security reason at any given site.

I also know that he PDRA Board have continuously spent money to help "clear" American Quarry.

All that being said, American is the smallest of the three quarries and the viz is limited during the heat of the summer (5' - 10'). But it is diving and gives you a place to work on your skills.

BTW, Blanche is also my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom