Peace River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harvo

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck diving the peace river for shark teeth. I know the vis. is bad???

Im looking for the Big Boys (MEGALODONS)

I have dove the Peace one time and want to do it again. Unfortunately, with all the rain we have been having there have been few times this summer when you can get in any of the rivers. My last trip the stage was at about 4' at Arcadia and it was barely doable. Its at 6.5' right now and has not been much below that all summer. To get good it needs to be at 2' or less.No way to stay in place without something to hold onto. It is really cool though because the tannin in the river makes it look like you are diving in orange Jello. I am primarily interested in Indian artifacts but if you wnat to see some really cool stuff that has come out of the Peace go to www.paleoflorida.com. They are locals who have been diving it for years and the stuff they have found is phenomenal.

BradB thanks for the Link. I have heard that the best time to dive the peace river is the winter months. Less rain. I have been to Arcaida a couple time and used a screen, I found a small amount of shark teeth and one gator tooth.

Thanks.

I'd be interested in doing this sometime. Let me know!

If it ever quits raining maybe we can set up a trip for those who are interested. On my one trip we put in at Gardner and paddled our yaks up a few miles north before I dove and my wife poked around on the shore. I did not find squat in the river cause it was just to fast at that point. Had to fight from hand hold to hand hold.Lots of time the bottom matrix would break off and down the river I would go. I really needed four hands. One for the light, one to fan and two to hang on with. But it is a really cool place. I have really tried to get input from a lot of sources on general areas to go cause it is a long river but have had no success. Those who know ain't talking. But the 18 mile stretch from Gardner north to Zolfo is truly primitive with no public ramps and if the river ever goes down I am gonna be on it lots. It would make a great week-end camping trip and with my LP 120's I got LOTS of bottom time in 5-10 feet of water. Although nothing great was found in the river we did find a number of small sharks teeth and lots of various fossils around the banks. Oh, and the fall/winter is better not only because of less rainfall but also cause the gators are not nearly as frisky.

Supposedly, theres a spot on Shell creek (around where it crosses 17) that's supposed to be good as well.

When the water dies down some I will be spending a good bit of time in the peace river. BRADB- When you put in at Gardner did you get to it from (17) Im looking at a map and a road just south of (665) looks like it goes to a boat ramp?http://treasuresites.com
This is a good site if you dont already know about it. It states that shell creek at the bends off of (17) is a good spot to check out. I just picked up a canoe, just have not used it yet.

Yep, thats the Gardner ramp. Although calling it a ramp is being generous. Where is Shell Creek in relation to that?

I wouldn't dive in there is someone paid me. They dump sewage in the Peace River.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom