Peacock,Madison,and Troy to CLOSE!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I think it's a bit over dramatic to say I'd stop visiting FL if 2-3 caves closed, seeing the TONS out there still open....but that's just me.

Hope this doesn't happen however.

Personally I think it's a bit over dramatic to say I'd stop visiting FL if 2-3 caves closed, seeing the TONS out there still open....but that's just me.

Hope this doesn't happen however.

But that points to the difference between a local and a tourist.

Out-of-towners usually come and spend money to dive the places they're already familiar with.

In fact, I daresay the locals don't really want the tourists in the places they like to dive the most ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Out-of-towners usually come and spend money to dive the places they're already familiar with.

In fact, I daresay the locals don't really want the tourists in the places they like to dive the most ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

agree. james knowing about all those caves isn't going to help out the tourists

agree. james knowing about all those caves isn't going to help out the tourists
Ed knowing about them certainly helps all of us when we visit the Mill Pond.

2 years ago, when site closings hurt Bill's pocket book, he flexed some political muscle and got Peacock reopened during road repair. I would be willing to bet he'd find a way to do john boat trips (like Ed), or battle with the state to get some sites open that really shouldn't be closed currently.

I'd really like to see the pressure put on the state to open a few other sites, especially anything <130ft deep. More options = more $$$ from tourists.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
People were coming to FL in high numbers well before Jackson Blue, HITW, Twin, and those caves were easily accessible. We'd still have more caves for tourists than were available 10 years ago when Ed wasn't around.

Last edited:
The information on other caves is pretty readily available, with even the simplest of searches.

But it would be ashame to lose any of FL's great State Parks. The State Parks in Florida are IMO one of its best features.

My question to those who are in charge is why, when the pressure was on, about charging divers more to dive in the parks & the fees reduced, was it not simply stated, "we need to raise the fees to create the needed revenue to keep the parks open"? I would much rather pay a little extra to have access to the parks, than to see them threatened to be shut down. I would think most others would agree with me on that. These parks are a major part of the lifeblood of that part of FL, with the tourism it brings in. To close those parks would bring economic ruin to an area where cave divers for all over the US (including myself) & the world over, come to dive these springs & caves. A lot of people have fought very hard for access to these sites & put a lot of time & effort into making them nicer for everyone. Hope to goodness, this does not come to pass.:(

Maybe you missed the part that said $4B. I suspect that there aren't that many divers.
Just rase property taxes back to what they should be, get rid of public schools, and shut down the jails.

From the state? Nothing yet. The list only came out a couple of weeks ago, and it wasn't a definitive list of closures. It was a list of possible closures. Keep sending the letters. While some parks will probably close, maybe we can keep these 3 off the list.

I used the "other box" and wrote in Peacock Springs State Park. Please fill in
Troy or Madison so we let them know these parks are important.

Dear Florida State Park Camper,

The Florida Park Service is conducting a visitor satisfaction survey from February 16 – March 1, 2011. We invite you to participate by spending less than ten minutes filling out an online survey.

Please participate in the survey by visiting the web address below; enter exactly:

Visitor Satisfaction Survey 2010 - 2011

Please complete the survey by March 6. Thank you for your participation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom