Peacock Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Gas management is a concern because it is a siphon but navigation is done the same way. Follow the rules and use the skills that you should have before going and you "shouldn't" get lost...right? Some people don't like it because the vis isn't usually as good as the rest. It's still great vis compared to what I'm used to and I like it. There's usually more particulate in the water and it changes your depth perception of makes it a little...I don't know...erie, spooky or something? I'm getting all excited just thinking about it. oops sorry, I guess it should be a somber thread. Maybe we should start another one to talk about cool places in the Peacock system.
Not saying i would get lost, what i mean is looking at the map, and not knowing if there are lines up one tunnel or the other, crossing over to the other tunnel and all that kind of stuff - on paper it looks confusing :wink: I dove the siphon of Manatee, really enjoyed that dive and on 1/6, even at that depth we still got a good ways in past the 100ft deep sump like part and up to about 80ft or so on the side that would jet out into the manatee spring bowl, but that was a training dive, so i had stuff to do on the way out (back upstream). It was dark walled, but fun at the same time, would have no personal problem doing the same kind of thing at P3 as a siphon. As for somber, well yes we should be, splitting this off for a discussion only on P3 - might do so depending on if this gets back on track or not, no harm at the moment, but worth remembering if it keeps on about actually diving that state park and not diving management and the fatality itself.

simbrooks:
Sorry for the confusion - here is the map of Pe. I will have to try waterhole 3, P3 and OG in the future, still only have limited penetration in the main area of peacock so far, really enjoyed it though and would like to take more trips to get a feel for it and enjoy some of the scenery that i might have missed first time :wink:

That's one of the things i like about this place, if you put down bad info, those in the know will help you out and correct you/call you out on it - in a nice way of course :wink:

I did part of my training in the Peacock system...like most people I guess. But...there's so much that I find that i've swam right by without noticing in the past.

Some divers are always in a hurry to eat up line and get someplace else and they rush right by the most beautiful parts of the cave without noticing just so they can get someplace else.

One of my favorite spots is a place that I sdwam past more than once in training and never really appreciated. Every trip down ther I like to do at least one dive to that spot. When I have my way I plan it so I have time and gas to just hover and soak it all in. the spot I'm talking about is the area around what we call Olsens window between pothole and olsen. There's other places that we like to just poke around...some of which aren't even on the map.

People might agree that i dont tank it in there to get somewhere, my diving is far more relaxed, we just happened to hit 1/6ths at certain times, but try to take the time when i can - of course you arent going to see everything on your way in the first time - i have found new nooks in a bunch of springs i have dove a dozen times or so. One day i will see some of that, but back to the accident report!!

BTW - if i split the thread chances are it will look disjointed in some form, so for now i will leave it like this.

simbrooks:
Its almost dead on the 1000 ft mark, see the map, it shows that the waterhole 3 (confused that for P3 earlier on) on the map ends running into the peanut tunnel, although its not as simple as that - they dont T, its a gap off to the left through a small opening, prior to that there is a sidemount tunnel off to the pothole line on your right and another over to the W3 line on your left, cant recall distance, only that they are less than 1000ft, maybe like 5-600 and around 7-800, respectively at a guess. I believe i am getting my tunnels correctly here, but i have only gone on those lines (pothole and peanut once each) once so far - looks like you could traverse the P1 (peanut)-W3 if you have the training, skills and desire - Mike i know you have at least 2 of those.

Yea, that's down the peanut tunnel. The first two are marked jumps, the 3rd one is just shy of 1000', isn't marked on the mainline, but is easy to see 'cause it's straight ahead with the mainline turning to the right some.

jjoeldm:
Now first off, there is no excuse for the diver who died being in Peacock III. There is no cavern to speak of and it's silty, dark, low and dangerous -- it's an advanced dive for a full-cave-trained dive

Actually under the right conditions, PIII is an absolutely beautiful cavern, both down around the stop sign, and in the shallower 'balcony' over to the right. Of course, the conditions need to be ideal; I was there in my cavern class when it was springing and the vis was 100+ feet.

Not that it changes -anything- in regards to the accident, as this goes -far- beyond the cavern.

Spectre:
Actually under the right conditions, PIII is an absolutely beautiful cavern, both down around the stop sign, and in the shallower 'balcony' over to the right. Of course, the conditions need to be ideal; I was there in my cavern class when it was springing and the vis was 100+ feet.

Not that it changes -anything- in regards to the accident, as this goes -far- beyond the cavern.

Those are very, very , very rare conditions. I don't dispute it, I just think there are better places to train. But if your instructor is responsible . . . .

I don't know, what is the position of most cave instructors towards teaching Cavern and Intro at PIII? I know I spoke to one today who was openly derisive of the idea.

JoeL

I've seen several cavern classes go into P3. If the vis meets the minimum 30 ft for NACD? and the flow is nill I don't see why not. The cavern classes of some agencies don't even have vis requirements.

MikeFerrara:
I've seen several cavern classes go into P3. If the vis meets the minimum 30 ft for NACD? and the flow is nill I don't see why not. The cavern classes of some agencies don't even have vis requirements.

I don't dispute it. And if the instructor's responsible -- and clearly with the facts we have this one wasn't -- then a cavern is a cavern. A cavern is even MORE of a cavern now tha I've heard that the CDS and increased the Cavern Zone size to 200'. Is that true? : )

But I do wonder, with all the places there are to dive and train in Peacock and elsewhere for cavern and intro why an instructor would even want to show a prospective cavern/cave diver where PIII is or incite and interest in it. To me, you try to keep the more dangerous sites off the radar for new divers until their training, their skill and their maturity matches their desire to see new places.

Sure you can use Falmouth for cavern, but wow, what a dangerous place that is!

JoeL

jjoeldm:
But I do wonder, with all the places there are to dive and train in Peacock and elsewhere for cavern and intro why an instructor would even want to show a prospective cavern/cave diver where PIII is or incite and interest in it.

Look around orange grove cavern.. look around P1. And now try to explain the concept of the need to be careful about your bouyancy, trim, silt, the need to be extremely aware of all your surroundings.

Now take that explination, and put the diver in the P3 cavern.

When I rounded the bend later in my diving career; silt didn't phase me, because I knew that the peacock I cavern is -not- what a cave looks like... P3 is. P3 emphasised the importance of prevention of silt disturbance.

With an instructor with a clue, and students who have the base skills down, and the right conditions, p3 can be a very powerful site for students.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom