Pearl Harbor Christmas Lights!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VBlueV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
got to take a ride through battleship row to see all the ships and subs decorated in all their Christmas lights!

forgive my night photography..
shutter staying open on a moving boat.. not such a good idea :wink:
but the glitter effect and the reflections off the water turned out kinda cool :D

P1000245.jpg

P1000248.jpg

P1000250.jpg

here's a sub..
P1000255.jpg

and then i figured out how to force the shutter not to stay open.. and keep the flash off..
but then, they turned out rather dark.
P1000262.jpg

the cruise was fun.. and they played Christmas music the whole way..
which invited some to sing along [me].

then, a solemn part toward the end of the ride..
we passed the arizona memorial dimly lit in the midst of the dark locke.
P1000269.jpg

When I was stationed there I always thought the ship's looked like a Carnival Cruiselines grave yard every X-mas.

actually.. a cruiseliner did go into dry dock at pearl harbor..
just before i left last may.. i was at hickam marina..
there was a ton of vog out that morning..
then, all the sudden.. like the flying dutchman..
the pride of america broke thru the mist as it approached the pearl outer buoys.

i totally thought i was seeing things :shocked2:
[like, why would a cruiseliner be entering pearl harbor?]
thankfully it was confirmed by the evening news :eyebrow:
crazy..

On one of the few Christmas times that we were in actually in Pearl harbor, I went up to the Navy Exchange and bought a ton of Christmas lights. Since the duty section had pretty much nothing to so, we strung a giant Christmas tree from the aircraft warning lights down to the main deck. Kept the crew busy and it looked pretty good.
A cruise ship in Drydock 4? Things sure have changed since I had myself gonged off.

yeah.. a big thank you to you and all the other sailors who decorated their ships!
that Christmas Lights Cruise was the turning point for me which finally got me in the Christmas Spirit and feeling like it was actually Christmas time on this island without snow. So, cheers!

The Pride of America was in dry dock for Coast Guard inspection and $4.1MM re-fit..
Hawaii-based cruise ship drydocked | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper
PRIDE OF AMERICA $4.1 million refit completed
Pride of America goes into drydock | starbulletin.com | Business | /2008/02/29/

hawaii805010342AR_b.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom