Pearl Harbor???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After the SCRU did the original survey on the USS Arizona back in the 80's, I don't think they have done much diving there since, although the continuing leaks from the fuel bunkers have been somewhat of a source of concern. Just something they'll have to live with.
Every year though, any deceased shipmates who survived the attack have the honor of having their ashes placed inside the ship with their shipmates. There were no public ceremonies for this - just a totally low-key, very private ceremony.
To the best of my knowledge, no one ever penetrated the wreck after the salvage and harbor clearance operations were done - the SCRU scrupulously avoided going inside - the ashes used to to be interred with a long pole, although by now maybe they use a ROV. The youngest guy that could have served onboard Arizona would be 81 now, so there can't be that many left.
The post that referenced the Admiral Clarey Bridge brought up a minor sore point with me. While I kept my boat at the marina there, I had free yard space and power to do boat repairs. It was sweet while it lasted, until the day they brought in this huge barge from the mianland and began sinking pilings for the bridge. The access way was fenced off and of course went right through my repair area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom