Pee Valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon,
Well you've got a point... if you're using a drysuit to do multiple dives from a Zodiac sized boat without a shore SI, things can get a bit tricky.

I've only ever used Zodiacs to reach free diving objectives (and we used wetsuits then, so "relief" wasn't an issue...) :)

I'd still be a bit leary about compromising my drysuit with multiple zippers though... maybe I'm just paranoid.

Originally posted by dsquid
I'd still be a bit leary about compromising my drysuit with multiple zippers though... maybe I'm just paranoid.

I'm a bit paranoid too - simply because as you fin there is considerable movement in the suit. - this is one of the reasons that the 'pee valve' also fails.

This leaves the diapers/nappy solution.............

Jon T

I must interject that my own "P" valve installation shows no signs of breaking down or failing in any way. My drysuit is neoprene; the "P" valve has been in there four years. The only maintenance it has required is routine cleaning, lubrication of the external bolt and an occasional "o" ring change.
Rick

I use both. A P-valve and a diaper as a backup or in case breakfast decides to go south 145 ft down and 2000 ft back.

A couple of things I've found. I don't like the adhesive so my doc steered me towards a seldom used but still made device called a Maguire urinal. A loose fitting outer sheath and a snug inner one, with a jock style undergarment that can be washed. No more glue. You can get them from invalid supply stores.

Yes, I do know guys who use indwelling caths to their valves. They are tougher men than I.

My p-valve is the new one by Si-tech. It is bulletproof, like all their products. Adjustable flow so it can be be manually opened and closed, or set to auto flow. No more bolts or plugs to lose.

After a while, you get used to this subject coming up at cave diving sites, so sorry if I seem rather frank.

Dive safe
Brock

Hey everyone. Thanks for the replies-comical and serious. I just ordered my suit and your comments were very helpful. I never should have posted the question, and then fould out that you can't remove a post once it is on the board. Anyway, I actually received some serious replies. Whew!

Proper hydration is key in maintaining warmth and preventing DCS. That water has to go somewhere, so here we're talking about a key safety system.

Never be embarrased to ask. Thats how we learn.

Dive safe and enjoy the Dry Side.
Brock

Pee valves are great, provided you keep them in good condition, Make sure that the tubing is not bent or you will get a flow back. Relief zippers are also nice, only useful on the surface. If it was my choice I would go for the zipper. I have had several bladder infections from not complete discharge. If you really don't have to do either that of course is the best choice. Adding another hole or cut to you suit means more to fix if somthing goes wrong. Also make sure they dry suit company won't void the warantee on the suit.

Good luck!

I've a dive buddy who is ex - Force Recon. They used in- dwellings on some missions, until the infections were knocking out too many team members.

But all good points. To anyone considering getting either, have it put in by a dealer using the approved model. My suit is a Viking, and field modifications are ok by them as long as you use approved parts.

806, you've a great website. I have heard of Mike Galvin before. Perhaps on the Techdiver.com or Techdiver@ aquanaut lists?

Dive safe
Brock

I would agree that if you're into tech/cave diving with long periods of deco and such, then consider using one of the options mentioned. As for me, when I was diving the great NW, (I miss it so!) it was never a problem. I just made sure I "took care of business" and avoided dieretic stuff like coffee before the dive. My diving was just average recreational stuff, 30-50 minute dives, no deco other than a safety stop. I never saw the practicality of the relief zippers because they can only be used above water, and unless you are out on the water all day in a zodiac, it's not much of a problem to just get out of the upper portion of your dry suit. Plus it's just one more place for potential leaks, no pun intended. The only challenge I recall was keeping the suit out of the way while trying to aim in a small marine head in a rocking boat.

It's a legitimate question, don't feel bad about posting it, I learned a few things also. You can edit your posts once they're posted.

Originally posted by finster
Hey everyone. Thanks for the replies-comical and serious. I just ordered my suit and your comments were very helpful. I never should have posted the question, and then fould out that you can't remove a post once it is on the board. Anyway, I actually received some serious replies. Whew!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom