Peleliu Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manhattandiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning to dive Palau in late April / early May and am considering staying on Peleliu. It seems like travel times to the better dive sites are shorter from Peleliu than from Koror and the diving is a bit less expensive on Peleliu as well. I'm also interested in the historical significance of Peleliu as a WWII battlefield. However, I'm going to be traveling alone and don't exactly crave total isolation for days on end. (I'm also not interested in doing a liveaboard.)

Given the above, does it makes sense to stay on Peleliu, in Koror or do a mix of both?

If it makes sense to stay on Peleliu, does anyone have any experience (i) diving with either Maml Divers or Peleliu Divers or (ii) staying at the Island View Hotel?

Thanks in advance for you advice.

do a mix of both?

Yes, stay in Koror part of the time, I'd vote. I've been to Palau five times now and obviously love it. I hear Peleliu life is pretty slow. So...2-3 days there would get you lots of diving. Don't forget your SMB. And some kinda camera for the shark action!

A historical visit off the BBE around on Peleliu indicated to me there is only island things to do. It was plenty hot as well. We got a pretty good tour of most of the battlefield sights in a half day. That meant just looking at areas which, previously denuded by the battle, was a lush forest now, so difficult to appreciate other than you knowing its significance. However, Amtracs, Japanese tanks, the air field, cave, Zero remains, Japanese and American memorials, invasion beach. Good museum which was a converted blockhouse, with the reinforced concrete showing big hits from battleship shelling. I would expect, with a little effort, that you could get out and see some real sites, with a local guide. Again, it will be mixture of deteriorated remains and jungle. But, for the significance of its history, its definitely worth a view.

The access to the beach that I saw was always a stagnant stand of water out to the reef, meaning it wasn't necessarily the best spot to bake in the sun. Any place which indicated access to open water would be best.

Realize you might be in for some real island style diving. Smaller boat, informal diving, etc. Lots of currents in that particular area. I liked diving at Peleliu best along with Blue Corner.

LAnd based in Peleliu i've used Maml, tell redgie the lady in charge Yvette referred you. Their location is better than the other outfit> Their shop is on the north dock so the dive sites are equidistant, it will take only 15 -20 min to blue corner and less to the PELELiu sites.

Do a mix 5days in Palau and 5 days in Peleliu.
Really nothing to do in Peleliu just the diving who is fantastic.
Stay at the Peleliu dive resort,new bungalow,food was OK.
The coulple is very nice.Lot of japonese .

Just wondering i see there is a hospital on the island. Just how up to date is it thanks

Just wondering i see there is a hospital on the island. Just how up to date is it thanks

I'm a physician, working in the Marianas. Medical care on Pelileu is pretty basic, like most smaller islands. Major issues go to Koror, REALLY major issues go off island. But, I assuming your not planning to need it, right?

As to the original question did Palau twice, first at PPR, the second on Pelileu for exactly the reasons stated. If you need to be entertained beyond diving and touring the battle sites, Koror and the main islands have a lot more to offer. Companionship depends on who is there when you are. You can find yourself in a group of Japanese or Chinese easily. Maybe you have a lot more stamina than I, but I went to dive and explore the island, did so for exactly the reasons you state, and would do so again were there not so many other islands to explore. Koror has become too crowded and commercial for me.

Back
Top Bottom