Penang - any dive centres?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladyarkles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Guys,

I am going to be in Penang for a few days and am going to try to fit in a day's diving.

I have only managed to find one operator that provides a package out to Pulau Payar, price is reasonable but I don't know which dive centre they work with (if any).
They are called Langkawi Saga Travel. (I found the link here at ScubaBoard, but no other links came up as relevant)

I did give them a call and the girl said that they provide all equipment other than wetsuit and gloves - no worries there - but she was a bit vague about the "instructor".
I said that I was AOW certified and she said that was OK, my instructor is PADI and SSI. :idk:

All I want is a couple of fun, easy dives to see the fish. :blinking:

Does anyone know of any dive operations in Penang who may be able to help?
If I don't find any alternative, I'll go along to the office of LST and see if they fill me with confidence or not.

I don't need too much babysitting, but my safety is important to me so therefore want decent hire equipment and so on.

Anyone got any thoughts??

Rach xx

That is weird, I was looking for the same information last night. It looks like I have to visit for business and want to tag on a warm water dive day. I found http://www.eastmarine.com, maybe the same place, maybe not. All dives are with a DM (instructor?) and they also offer Discover Scuba. From the site, the dives are all pretty shallow (30-40ft) and easy.

As with you, I would love updated info on recommended dive ops from someone with 1st hand experience.

LOL! When will you be there?
Maybe we can meet up and get befuddled together!!

Your link is to somewhere in Massachusetts. That is going to be one heck of a boat trip to get to Palau Payar!!:D

I'm game if you are, I just may need to bring double my normal amount of cheese sandwiches!

Rach xx

I have sent them an enquiry email.
I'll let you know what they say, otherwise I'll check out the other place.
I'm going to be there in about 8 days or so; this means any info I get I can pass on to you!!

Rach xx

I have attached some info that East Marine sent me.

They seem quite happy to arrange dives with only one day's notice, but because of my needing to come from Penang rather than Langkawi the booking will be non-refundable.
Also (I think) the cost will be a little higher as it is a Penang ferry rather than their normal route.

They have given me a contact number and I shall call when I hit Penang.
I'll keep you posted.
:geek:

Rach xx

Attachments

• PENANG_DIVE.doc
    46.5 KB · Views: 144
This was all a lot simpler than I expected it to be.
I emailed East Marine, they gave me a local contact number and the rep came to the hotel to take my booking.
There is a pick up coach from the Ferrenghi Beach hotel area.
In Georgetown you are close enough to walk or catch a public bus to Swettenham Pier (not the main jetty where the Butterworth ferry goes from).

Got to pier for 7.15 am given wristband and boarded ferry at 7.30.
Dep. Penang 8.20, arrived Payar at 10.15.
Smooth crossing, toilets a bit grim and no opp. to buy food or drink - take your own breakfast.
Transferred to reef platform, then transferred to East Marine Dive boat.
Filled out forms, showed card, discussed equipment and so on.
I had my own reg, fins, mask etc.
Used their BCD (good condition for a rental) and 2mm shorty - which they had in all sizes from Skinny Minny to Fat A$$ (me) .
Weights and belts available of course.

Briefing fairly good, I had a DM to myself. Nice young lad.
First fill I had was 3,000 psi; second 3,500.
Not much of a buddy check....... my one criticism.

First dive site: Coral garden, depth 18.1 m Temp 28 degrees .
Soft corals, lots of anemones.
Vis about 5m.
Giant moray eel, lionfish, razor fish, trumpet fish, sea horses, giant (bloody great big buggers) groupers, angel fish, squirrel fish, nudis (not many) and all the usual suspects. Lots of gobis (my faves).

Back on little boat and then taken to beach with all the snorkellers for lunch.
They provide a cold lunch, rice, chicken, fruit, water and coke.
I did some snorkelling before I ate and there was a big, ugly barracuda hanging around and then about a dozen blacktips showed up. So the snorkelling was a real bonus for me.

Back on boat for second dive: Kaca Isalnd.
Vis 4m. Temp 28 degrees.
Depth: 14.8 m

Similar marine life to above, and a big school of something that I can't remember the name of!
The DM actually impressed me by picking up some litter (of which there is hardly any) and bringing it up with him to dispose of - nice attitude!

Lovely relaxed dive, a great day.
Back to dive boat, jetty then ferry to Penang.
The movie they showed coming home was "the Perfect Storm"!! :shocked2:

Bus back to hotel and in room by 6pm.

Phew! Hope that is enough info for you.

If you are looking for a relaxed, easy dive I would recommend this service.

Have fun!

Rach xx

Thanks for all the advance work. Sounds like you have a good time, nice to have the scouting done for me.

Doug

Thanks Rach.. Great review.. Any pictures?
Is that the normal viz for the area?

No pics. Well, only of the snorkelling area and boats.
No-one to take pics for me and my little camera only goes to 5m!

The vis was not great as the current was bringing water from the mainland and that stirs it up a bit.
It is usually better than that at this time of year (according to my guy).

Still, I had a great day and it was worth the effort!

Rach xx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom