Pending changes for certifications required for JDC dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did my AOW with dressel in Dominican in 2021 the DM purposely took me to 100 on a wreck to check off that box.
I want to point out first that your method of editing the quote makes it look like you are quoting me when you are actually quoting drrich2.

It is true, however, that the standards allow the deep dive to be done at any depth between 60-100 feet. I firmly believe the deep dive should be done as close to 100 feet as is possible, and I think the overwhelming majority of instructors would agree. When I got AOW, it was indeed at just about 100 feet.

The problem is that in many places, that is not possible, and instructors trying to do the AOW course have a problem getting that deep.
  • Colorado has among the most certified divers per capita in the nation, but we have no sites in the state suitable for the AOW deep dive. Some people pretend they can get past 60 feet with an altitude adjustment at Aurora Reservoir, but that is BS. They frequently take students on a 7 hour drive from Denver to Homestead Crater in Utah, where they can hit 65 feet. If they take the 6 hour drive to the Blue Hole in New Mexico, they can reach 80 feet.
  • When I last did a liveaboard trip on the Great barrier Reef, our deepest dive was 80 feet, and almost all other dives were much shallower than that.
  • When I did a week of diving in Bali, the DM we had (an SSI instructor) said that our dives would be to a maximum depth of "20 meters/80 feet." I corrected his math several times, but he always used that phrase. He tried to keep us well above that limit and almost had a heart attack when we defied him and went to 100 feet to see a great reef and some sharks. Everyone in our group had at least AOW certification.
  • About 10 years ago we had a thread in which an anonymous DM from Arkansas said that his shop tells AOW students that PADI allows them to do the AOW with no deep dive since they have no suitable site nearby. They tell the students what to say on their survey forms so they don't get in trouble. That is BS--no one has such an agreement. The DM refused to identify the shop for fear of being fired.

It is true, however, that the standards allow the deep dive to be done at any depth between 60-100 feet. I firmly believe the deep dive should be done as close to 100 feet as is possible, and I think the overwhelming majority of instructors would agree. When I got AOW, it was indeed at just about 100 feet.
Glad to see that. It's worth noting the singular - 'the' deep dive. Not several or even a few deep dives under instructor supervision/guidance; the AOW cert. tells us someone has been on at least 1 dive somewhere in the 61 - 100-foot range (if nobody lied), probably significantly over 60 feet if that was practical.

And now the cert. is an increasingly de facto 'license' to dive in that depth range as a recreational diver, presumably on the grounds it proves something.

These situations remind me of Dilbert cartoons for some reason.

Certainly true.

When I was brandy-newly certified, I went to PNG on a dive trip. I was taken to 130 feet because I was certified to 130 feet. The dive was briefed, we followed the plan, and all came back after seeing an incredible giant clam garden (and a number of oceanic white tips). I was a bit of a huffer (understandably) and came home with just enough air left to get on the boat, but, as stated, we dived the plan, to 130.

I eventually got a AOW card and a deep diving specialty as well. Sometimes the third world doesn't play the liability game like North America does....

Colorado has among the most certified divers per capita in the nation, but we have no sites in the state suitable for the AOW deep dive.
A long time ago, our dive team would do deeper dives at hosetooth reservoir outside of Ft. Collins. I see it still allows diving and, depending on water levels, can be around 200 feet deep. Our dives were around 130 feet or so. Surprised local instructors have not worked out a plan for doing their deeper dives there instead of driving out of state.

A long time ago, our dive team would do deeper dives at hosetooth reservoir outside of Ft. Collins. I see it still allows diving and, depending on water levels, can be around 200 feet deep. Our dives were around 130 feet or so. Surprised local instructors have not worked out a plan for doing their deeper dives there instead of driving out of state.
According to the Larimer County website:
Horsetooth Reservoir: Scuba diving is permitted at the South Bay Swim Area within the designated swim area, and at Lower Sunrise. It is also allowed at Dixon, Quarry, and Orchard Coves on weekdays only.​

They also direct those diving outside of the swimming area to use a dive flag.

“Every person in the water, outside a designated swimming area, using an underwater breathing device often known as scuba gear, shall display a diver's flag”

If I was an instructor out there, I would contact them and work out a designated area in which to conduct a 100 foot dive that could be utilized for all local agencies to use when needed. We used the same area each time we went down there and they only required us to not get too close to one of the dams. It might be worth looking into.

This seems weird to me as the lake next to my place is something like 360 feet deep. Seems like there ought to be lots of deep mountain lakes out there, but I guess not.

This seems weird to me as the lake next to my place is something like 360 feet deep. Seems like there ought to be lots of deep mountain lakes out there, but I guess not.
Don't forget that Denver is the Mile High City. There are some deep mountain lakes if you don't mind diving at 10,000-11,000 feet altitude. If you check the US Navy Diving Manual, the section on diving at that altitude is one paragraph long and in bold red type. It says don't do it without special permission. I have dived two of those lakes. Just breathing on the shore before the dive is an accomplishment.

Wouldn't it be simpler just to include a 34% nitrox fill with the AOW? Dive Max 100 ft. Surface intervals and bottom times could be gone over in minutes during the course.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom