Pending changes for certifications required for JDC dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't it be simpler just to include a 34% nitrox fill with the AOW? Dive Max 100 ft. Surface intervals and bottom times could be gone over in minutes during the course.
That’s discover nitrox.

1673447237552.png

I am reading that as "Nitrox certification is required, diving with nitrox is not"

In any case, I would see this as reason to take my business elsewhere. They can set whatever policy they like and I can vote with my wallet.

I am reading that as "Nitrox certification is required, diving with nitrox is not"
Perhaps, but I'll bet they will play by their rules, not yours.
In any case, I would see this as reason to take my business elsewhere. They can set whatever policy they like and I can vote with my wallet.
Good luck. Be prepared to not dive.

Why do you object to the use of Nitrox?

Perhaps, but I'll bet they will play by their rules, not yours.

Good luck. Be prepared to not dive.

Why do you object to the use of Nitrox?
I'm just curious what their rules really are. Is it about the use of Nitrox or is it about the certification to use nitrox? The way that page reads, it seems to only be about the certification.

I have no objection to using nitrox. I do have a problem with requiring it's use since there is no dive (in terms of depth, duration can be another matter) that can be done on nitrox that cannot be done on air. This policy sounds to me to be more about selling nitrox and AOW certs than about any safety benefit. As for the liability question, that is both dubious and separate from a safety issue. What keeps me safe is not the same as what might keep you from getting sued.

I'm just curious what their rules really are. Is it about the use of Nitrox or is it about the certification to use nitrox? The way that page reads, it seems to only be about the certification.

I have no objection to using nitrox. I do have a problem with requiring it's use since there is no dive (in terms of depth, duration can be another matter) that can be done on nitrox that cannot be done on air. This policy sounds to me to be more about selling nitrox and AOW certs than about any safety benefit. As for the liability question, that is both dubious and separate from a safety issue. What keeps me safe is not the same as what might keep you from getting sued.
But the point is indeed duration, so you can't conveniently ignore it. It is a two-dive trip, so Nitrox allows a reasonable SI and a reasonable 2nd dive. You have a weak argument for air vs Nitrox for a single dive, but no good argument for a two-dive trip.
Safety? Take that up with @Wookie .

A typical dive profile on this boat is 65-75 feet for 45 minutes, a 45 minutes surface interval, then another 65-75 foot dive for 45 minutes. This is an ideal use case for Nitrox. You can try to do that same profile on air but your second dive isn't going to be 45 minutes. It is a no deco-boat. Why even bother diving that profile if you can't get the bottom time your paying for?

I agree the wording is nebulous, but I'm very familiar with this shop and their intention is to require nitrox breathing gas for all divers diving from their boat due to the profiles they commonly dive, not sell nitrox certs.

I remember years ago when all the operators required a computer and everyone said it was just to sell more computers. Tables and the Wheel work just fine.

But whether it's Nitrox or a computer, the policy is put in place because some divers don't keep track of their bottom time and that then becomes a Safety Issue.

1) Regardless of the agency, will a Deep Diver card be accepted in lieu of an AOW?

2) Are divers who show a PADI AOW limited to 30m (and required to show a Deep Diver card to be allowed down to 40m by the charter)? If yes, are divers who show a NAUI AOW limited to 30m as well considering training standards for NAUI are 40m, unlike PADI?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom