Pentax S4i - S&S Strobes and Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FritzCat66

Florida Reef Cat
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dive with my trusty old Pentax S4i in the Pentax O-WP2 waterproof case, I take pics all the time, and I love it!

Now, I realize I am about to talk about a lot of old models & discontinued equipment, but nevertheless I would like to make the most of it. It looks like I can find these older parts via several online dealers who still have a few in stock, or on the used market.

First, I recently managed to acquire a Sea&Sea conversion lens adapter for the Pentax O-WP2 (S&S #58108).

Strobe: So now I'm looking at an external strobe for my Pentax, because the #1 thing I need for better pics is more light. I really like the current YS-110 model for both the flash and the focus light, plus the fact that it should be compatible with any future camera upgrades I might make, but that brings up a couple of questions:
  1. Will the YS-110 handle the Pentax preflashes?

2. The YS-110 uses the S&S #50107 L-type fiber optic trigger cord. But the older #58108 Pentax lens adapter (which also acts as a flash mask and fiber connection point) says it is designed for the older YS-25 #50102 fiber trigger cord. Will the newer cord fit the connector on the older adapter? Or conversely, will the older cord fit the newer strobe?

3. Or should I give up on trying to use the newer YS-110 strobe and try to find the older YS-25 DX/AUTO unit? If so, is there a similar older unit that also has a focus light?

Lenses: The documentation says the Pentax adapter allows the use of MMII-EX lenses. That brings up another set of questions:
  1. Are there any newer/currently available lenses that also work with that mount?

2. I am especially interested in the 20mm wide lens (#03020), and the associated underwater color filter (#03050). Is there a similar filter available that fits the Pentax adapter without a lens? That is, just a filter that goes on the adapter itself, for use without an add-on lens, just the Pentax's own built-in lens. I would also be interested in that.

Thanks in advance for any help!

>*< Fritz

I dive with my trusty old Pentax S4i in the Pentax O-WP2 waterproof case, I take pics all the time, and I love it!

Now, I realize I am about to talk about a lot of old models & discontinued equipment, but nevertheless I would like to make the most of it. It looks like I can find these older parts via several online dealers who still have a few in stock, or on the used market.

First, I recently managed to acquire a Sea&Sea conversion lens adapter for the Pentax O-WP2 (S&S #58108).

Strobe: So now I'm looking at an external strobe for my Pentax, because the #1 thing I need for better pics is more light. I really like the current YS-110 model for both the flash and the focus light, plus the fact that it should be compatible with any future camera upgrades I might make, but that brings up a couple of questions:
  1. Will the YS-110 handle the Pentax preflashes?Yes.

2. The YS-110 uses the S&S #50107 L-type fiber optic trigger cord. But the older #58108 Pentax lens adapter (which also acts as a flash mask and fiber connection point) says it is designed for the older YS-25 #50102 fiber trigger cord. Will the newer cord fit the connector on the older adapter? Or conversely, will the older cord fit the newer strobe?Yes, the newer fiber-optic cable will be compatible and the older cord will fit the YS-110 as well.

3. Or should I give up on trying to use the newer YS-110 strobe and try to find the older YS-25 DX/AUTO unit? If so, is there a similar older unit that also has a focus light?
No digitally compatible strobe prior to the YS-110 offered a built-in target light.

Lenses: The documentation says the Pentax adapter allows the use of MMII-EX lenses. That brings up another set of questions:
  1. Are there any newer/currently available lenses that also work with that mount?No, there are no other lenses that are available.

2. I am especially interested in the 20mm wide lens (#03020), and the associated underwater color filter (#03050). Is there a similar filter available that fits the Pentax adapter without a lens? That is, just a filter that goes on the adapter itself, for use without an add-on lens, just the Pentax's own built-in lens. I would also be interested in that.
The 20mm w/a lens, SS-03020, is available on our factory direct closeout list and SS-03050 the color filter is available as well. Unfortunately, these products are discontinued and remaining stock is low. SEA&SEA made the adpater to mount the W/A lens, so there is no color filter only to mount to your housing.

Thanks in advance for any help! Our pleasure.

>*< Fritz

Hi Fritz-
Please see our comments regarding your questions and feel free to contact an authorized SEA&SEA dealer for more information or to purchase equipment.

I also dive with my trusty old S4i and O-WP2 case. I am wondering what kind of grease you use for the O-Ring, and where to buy a spare O-Ring. How often have you chnged O-Rings? I have never changed mine and am wondering if/when I should. There was a leak once, though that was several dives ago, but I worry about it.
Thanks in advance for your advise.
Vickie

Back
Top Bottom