People embarrassed to do pre dive buddy check?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

South Florida
I have completed hundreds of dives in South Florida. I have never seen a dive there where no one does a safety stop. This past winter I heard several briefings in which divers were told that when coming up the line after a wreck dive they should space themselves out between 10-20 feet rather than having everyone trying to cluster at exactly 15 feet.

Fish have fins. Mammals have flippers. We're not fish, so... :wink:
Exactly. "Fins" is not the proper term for divers. "Flippers" is. Fins, like the caudal fin, is in line with the dorsal fin. Fins propel a fish through the water with a side-to-side motion. Flippers [flukes, actually], on mammals are perpendicular to the dorsal and propel the animal through the water with an up-down motion. But mammals have flippers and flukes, not fins. The ignorance expressed in deliberately calling flippers fins - SMH.

Exactly. "Fins" is not the proper term for divers. "Flippers" is. Fins, like the caudal fin, is in line with the dorsal fin. Fins propel a fish through the water with a side-to-side motion. Flippers [flukes, actually], on mammals are perpendicular to the dorsal and propel the animal through the water with an up-down motion. But mammals have flippers and flukes, not fins. The ignorance expressed in deliberately calling flippers fins - SMH.

Only in America. In e.g. Soviet Russia only seals and sea lions (and also humans) have "flippers". Everything else has fins and there are no flukes.

1686934359202.png

I show people pictures of my kids on my phone and tell them that this is what they are risking if we don't do a buddy check and pay attention underwater.

I'm a 6'4", 260 pound New Yorker covered in tattoos down to my fingers. I don't get embarrassed.

the only thing that I can’t do for myself is a bubble check.
Sure you can; you learn how and practice it in a solo class. After you enter and are sorted out, near the surface, just lay back in the water and pause exhaling; look for bubbles around you. If you see some coming from behind your head you can even see if they are a gentle fizz or a solid stream.

One of the things I have written on my wrist slate is a reminder to use the reflection on my computer to do a bubble check right after submerging. It works pretty well. Can see the 1st stage clearly.
Nice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom