People embarrassed to do pre dive buddy check?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is fairly customary for DMs or the deck person to turn the valve to ensure it is on at many dive resorts. They will often do it without your knowing. It is sort of like this, another diver no, that would bug me, but a DM or other hand who has turned probably a million valves, I do not frett it. I always take a few breaths looking at the spg just before I drop in.

I try to go with the flow unless it appears dangerous. Like taking my fins off in the water. But, just to say, some boats do not like divers gearing up and walking in fins unassisted because if you fall you can hurt yourself, another customer or the crew.

Concierge service, frankly, I am starting to enjoy it. Years of fussing over my gear, do not scratch that, do not touch this do not drop my whatever, blah, blah. Get over it (talking to myself). The only thing I carry on about now is me (getting scratched or hurt or my wife) and my da--- camera system I am still fussy over. I usually carry my own regulators but even there I have sort of given in.
I don’t like people touching my gear. One dive operator last year insisted and insisted that I let them switch the tank during the surface interval, it was so me if the fancier DCs. Like an idiot I said ok and it was so poorly set up that the first stage was hitting my head the entire dive.

Another DM that I dive with frequently told me that he still does the quarter turn back. He acknowledged that yes valves are much better today but for X reason (I can’t remember what it was) he still does it. Convinced me even more to not let people touch my stuff.

Going back to the buddy check, the only thing that I can’t do for myself is a bubble check.

If you don’t want to participate in valet diving, just let the crew know and offer to go last so you don’t impede the other divers that don’t share your concerns. Then take all the time you want. :)Personally, I’ve never felt rushed diving with Reef Divers (LCBR, CBBR, et. al). All IMHO, YMMV.
Unfortunately in these places, even though I tell them everyday, some will still touch the valves AFTER I kit up until I tell them rudely/strongly not to.

You must dive in some unusual places. In my quarter century of diving all over the world, I do not believe I have seen a dive where almost no one does the safety stop. In fact, I have remarked recently about the dives I have seen in which people do safety stops where they are not remotely necessary.

I've seen people insisting to do a "safety stop" at the anchor line after having spent 15 min between 6 and 3 m looking at stuff.

Wasn't that the name of a US television dolphin?

Yes, tv show. Are you old enough to have watched on tv then?

You must dive in some unusual places. In my quarter century of diving all over the world, I do not believe I have seen a dive where almost no one does the safety stop. In fact, I have remarked recently about the dives I have seen in which people do safety stops where they are not remotely necessary.
South Florida

Back
Top Bottom