People to dive with at BHB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are going to Florida to dive BHB on Aug 31-Sept 2. It will be our first time there. It has been suggested to me that we should hire a guide for the first time we're on either side. However, I'm trying to make this trip as economical as possible and don't want to hire a guide if we could meet up with someone who is familiar with the sites and who is going to be diving at those times anyway. Does anyone here fit that description?

Hey there, personally i don't consider a guide a necessary expense at all. It's relatively shallow, swimming area marked, and is easy to navigate and cover the whole site on two tanks without rushing. Saturday's are typically busy so get there early to get a parking spot close to the dive site.. or any parking spot really. Hope that helps a little.

I believe it's Force-E that provides new divers with a map of BHB underwater. I think as long as you stay out of the boat lanes, you'll be fine on your own. I'm just a 'tourist' diver, but I dived it solo last time I was there and live to tell the tale. :wink:

The first time I visited BHB I did not hire a guide, but I wish I had. Force-E gave me a map and explained how to plan a route, and I had a compass, but I spent a lot of time looking at the compass when I could have been scrutinizing the bottom for all those critters the place is famous for. And unless one takes a straight-line route, it's easy to get off course by the accumulation of multiple bits of error when navigating by dead reckoning. So I would get to such and such a pile of rocks or some such landmark and not be exactly sure which heading to take at that point, and before I knew it I was out in the boat channel, and the tide was changing. A nice enough dive, but not an efficient use of time. The second visit, I hired a guide from Force-E, and it was a much more enjoyable dive.

With a great guide--you have an actual chance of seeing a frogfish or seahorse-without, nearly no chance. Google it....

If you decide on a guide I might be available to split the cost with you. I've been to bhb twice and plan on going often. I've seen a lot of cool wildlife, but I'm sure a guide would be helpful.

Here's a link to nearby dive shop website with a nice map: LINK

This is their page with the tide schedule: LINK (use the down/up arrows on the upper left to change month)

They recommend starting your dive 30 minutes before high tide, but in the future I'm going to shoot for an hour before.

If you don't want to pay extra for a private guide during the day, you can check with the other dive shop just east of the bridge that puts a guide in the water for whomever wants to tag along during their night dives. They're limited throughout the month, but if one's available while you're there, it's worth doing. Less people on the beach, in the parking lot, and in the water... win-win-win!

If you don't want to pay extra for a private guide during the day, you can check with the other dive shop just east of the bridge that puts a guide in the water for whomever wants to tag along during their night dives. They're limited throughout the month, but if one's available while you're there, it's worth doing. Less people on the beach, in the parking lot, and in the water... win-win-win!
Thanks! I think I found what you're referring to at Pura Vida Divers. Great way to beat the crowd.

www.blueheronbridgescuba.com (BHB Scuba) is right there in the park and is the county's official concession operator at BHB. Guides must be permitted/licensed by the county. I am one of those county licensed guides (though no.....you probably can't hire me as a guide. I generally use BHB for teaching.).

A guide is well worth it. We know where the "cool" stuff is. We know the secret spots. Yes, anyone can follow the easily marked dive trail but not everyone knows the stuff away from the trail. It's an easy dive and you can easily do an hour or 90 minute dive depending on your gas usage.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom