Percentage of divers who go beyond openwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I became a Master Diver I was mentioned in the dive shop's newsletter and they indicated that it's a level less than 2% of divers reach. Now I am a Divemaster so I'm thinking I'm probably now in the top 1% of divers.

I wouldn't be surprised to find more people become PADI Divermasters than get the PADI Master Scuba Diver cert. I know a lot of instructors and DM's... but I don't know anyone that got MSD first. For me it was OW, AOW, nitrox, Rescue, DM, and then the IDC.

So... I would think, just based on my personal experience, that divers who do MSD and then also become DMs are much less than 1% of the diving population.

This is totally anecdotal, but I've noticed their are 2 types of divers. Ones like me who got certified and it became such an addiction that they are diving all the time. Then there are the ones that get certified because they wanna dive on vacation or it's on their bucket list and after 10 years they have maybe 20 dives.

Very true. I've had the same experience, most divers could be dropped into one of those two categories. Although a subset of the second group is those that get certified so they can go diving once on vacation and then essentially cross it off their life "to do" list (oh yeah, I guess that would be their "bucket list")... and then never dive again. And not because they didn't like it, but because their plan from the start was to dive once so they could say they did it.

This made me lol irl. :)
Pic taken now. I’m unpacking my dive room from a house move. I may have a problem...

image.jpg

[QUOTE="BikerBecca, post: 8519476, member: 48276]

This is totally anecdotal, but I've noticed their are 2 types of divers. Ones like me who got certified and it became such an addiction that they are diving all the time. Then there are the ones that get certified because they wanna dive on vacation or it's on their bucket list and after 10 years they have maybe 20 dives.[/QUOTE]

And then there's people like me who spend over a decade travelling the world diving in varying conditions but don't feel the need to do class after class. If having your DM puts you in the top 1% of divers guess I must have a place somewhere in the bottom 99%

And then there's people like me who spend over a decade travelling the world diving in varying conditions but don't feel the need to do class after class. If having your DM puts you in the top 1% of divers guess I must have a place somewhere in the bottom 99%

I didn't notice that she did say "top 1% of divers" until I read your post and then re-read hers. Unfortunately that's part of the marketing for the DM course: only 1% of divers end up taking the DM course, so they must be the TOP 1%!

Lot of pseudo-logic in marketing.

Oh dear God why does this always happen on SB. Someone asks a question, you answer a question, you even say your answer is anecdotal based on personal observations and no facts and then someone has to come along and attack you and make fun of you.

The question that started this thread was about certifications and not skill and experience. If skill and experience was the question my answer would have been vastly different, but the question was about how many recreational divers go beyond open water certification. I made an innocent response but someone has to come along make a post to insult me by thinking I'm saying I'm some sort of elite, top, diver. No, that is not what I said, reading is fundamental. I talked about the percentage of divers that go beyond open water certification. I cited why I said what I said.

Why do some people here have to turn things into a pissing match?

Back
Top Bottom