Perdix AI Battery Drain Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn’t assume that.
I’m departing on a 1 month dive trip in 2 hours time. When I get back home on 21st December, I have 5 days before I’m off again for another dive trip.

Shearwater may be able to replace the circuit board or whatever that is faulty but it takes time.

I need a computer that I can depend on so ….

My wife says she wants one of these and two transmitters so I'm reading up and doing my homework on it before dropping half a used toyota on it. I'd like to avoid a problem like this.

I have a smartphone that went through battery too quickly because of a tendency to search for signal and then after receiving signal, losing it and searching for it again. It was fixed by a firmware update and works fine now and I still use it, 5 years later. My point is, it wasn't because of a hardware problem.

If this is a hardware problem people are experiencing, I will not be likely to buy anything from that company to be honest. If it's just a little growing pain that will be remedied, I can trust it.

My wife says she wants one of these and two transmitters so I'm reading up and doing my homework on it before dropping half a used toyota on it. I'd like to avoid a problem like this.

I have a smartphone that went through battery too quickly because of a tendency to search for signal and then after receiving signal, losing it and searching for it again. It was fixed by a firmware update and works fine now and I still use it, 5 years later. My point is, it wasn't because of a hardware problem.

If this is a hardware problem people are experiencing, I will not be likely to buy anything from that company to be honest. If it's just a little growing pain that will be remedied, I can trust it.
I once had a dive torch that would drain the battery very quickly. It was a hardware problem. Can be fixed, but was told that it would require changing a circuit board.

I’ve used the Perdix AI for 6years and over 1,400 dives. That’s good enough for me. Hardware parts do fail.

When I have time, and depending on the cost, I may ask Shearwater to fix it after which I would keep it as a spare.

I once had a dive torch that would drain the battery very quickly. It was a hardware problem. Can be fixed, but was told that it would require changing a circuit board.

I’ve used the Perdix AI for 6years and over 1,400 dives. That’s good enough for me. Hardware parts do fail.

When I have time, and depending on the cost, I may ask Shearwater to fix it after which I would keep it as a spare.
Do you consider 6 years a long time for a dive computer? I have been hoping I could find one I'd use for a decade for myself. Last time I bought a computer was 10 years ago and I hated it so I figured I'd give the tech a decade to mature before trying it again.

Do you consider 6 years a long time for a dive computer? I have been hoping I could find one I'd use for a decade for myself. Last time I bought a computer was 10 years ago and I hated it so I figured I'd give the tech a decade to mature before trying it again.
The other key is 1400 dives. I have computers that are 20 years old and work fine but only have a couple hundred each. The battery drain issue is really a fluke. My perdix AI is from 2019 and has a few hundred dives on it. I occasionally have 2 months dry due to time constraints and I don't take the battery out. I'm lazy and tell myself I'm going to dive next week and then it's been 7...

The other key is 1400 dives. I have computers that are 20 years old and work fine but only have a couple hundred each. The battery drain issue is really a fluke. My perdix AI is from 2019 and has a few hundred dives on it. I occasionally have 2 months dry due to time constraints and I don't take the battery out. I'm lazy and tell myself I'm going to dive next week and then it's been 7...
Similar. My Perdix AI is from Mar 2018 and has 267 dives on it. I've had zero issues with it. No battery drain whatsoever. This is more the norm. 1400 dives over 6 years on a computer without any maintenance whatsoever is A LOT of use.

Hello Shearwater,

I have been noticing that my 2017 Perdix AI has been going through batteries at an alarming pace lately. I only use Energizer Lithium batteries and I initially thought that my store of such batteries did not survive covid well so I purchased new lithium batteries with long use by date. The last Energizer lithium battery that I used has a use by date of 12 2048. This was installed into my Perdix AI on 23 October. The dive log on my first dive with the newly installed battery shows Battery Type Lithium, Battery V (Start) 1.7v, Battery V (End) 1.7v. Subsequent to installing the new battery, I did 11 dives from 23 October until 26 October. My dive log for my last dive on 26 Oxtober shows Battery V (Start) 1.7v, Battery V (End) 1.6v.

I'm doing a pre trip check of my equipment today (13 November), which is 10 days after my last dive and the lithium battery is dead, The Perdix AI will not turn on when the buttons are pressed. However, It works normally when I install a new lithium battery.

Something is causing the battery to drain when it is not in use. It is not AI since I have that turned off. Any ideas?

Had the same issue some years ago in my SW Predator and sent it to repair. The cause was a faulty depth sensor , which appears to be a recurrent issue on SW computers. Despite it was out of warranty, SW assumed the cost of replacing the faulty sensor., looks like this was treated as a latent defect.

Reactions: CWK
Hmm, I broke my leg and haven't been diving in 3 months. I think i will give my (4) shearwater computers some love and attention today!

I’m departing on a 1 month dive trip in 2 hours time. When I get back home on 21st December, I have 5 days before I’m off again for another dive trip.

Shearwater may be able to replace the circuit board or whatever that is faulty but it takes time.

I need a computer that I can depend on so ….
I'd still contact them. They've been known to turn things around real quickly. I don't think they'll be able to get back to you in 2 hours, but they've worked some miracles for users here in the past. Sometimes even arranging a local loaner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom