Perforated eardrum and future dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all –

I only have about 6 dives under my belt and during most of these I’ve had issues with equalization (40-60ft). During my last trip to Cozumel (feeling well, no congestion, cold, etc.) on the first dive of the vacation I got down about 25 feet and felt the usual pressure in my ears

it sounds like you are waiting too long to start to equalize, once you feel any pressure its time to go up a few feet to equalize...in the future you should be equalizing every few feet on the way down..never wait until you feel the pressure..by that time, its usually too late .

some people can equalize while under a squeeze, but for those who cant early and often equalization is very important .

Reactions: RJP
I'm going to bookmark the info on Earol, sounds like a good step in keeping the ears clean(er). The Pro-Ear is another option I will continue to look at, not completely sold on it yet but probably better than buying a full bell diver helmet.

---------- Post added January 16th, 2014 at 02:27 PM ----------

---------- Post added January 16th, 2014 at 02:35 PM ----------

---------- Post added January 16th, 2014 at 02:36 PM ----------

That brings up a question - what if you never truly get rid of the feeling of pressure on your ears? Say for example there is always some type of pressure or pinching - would that just be an example of not properly equalizing from the start or a sign of a physical limitation?

Last edited:
If you can't get rid of the sensation of pressure, you are not equalizing fully. If you equalize well and remain at the same depth, your ears should feel the same as they do on land.

I agree that your history suggests you are not equalizing early enough or perhaps well enough. You might find THIS video interesting, with information about the ear and some about equalization techniques. Ear problems are the most common injury in divers!

Reactions: RJP
Most of my diving experience is instruction :) and everything I've read says you should equalize at least once per meter/3 feet of depth. If you haven't equalized by 10 feet you may have trouble equalizing at that point.

I actually did a pool dive about a week before my Cozumel dive to test out some new equipment with my dive buddy. I was able to descend to 11 feet without barely having to equalize, so I had no foreshadow of any potential issues with equalizing.

On my dive, I felt the same ear pressure at 15ft as I did 25ft (and I have felt worse pressure on previous dives - so that is why I didn't think I was in trouble), which probably should have been a key indicator that I should have stopped and hung out for a while until things improved.

Are you sure you are doing the equalization right? You should be equalizing very often during the first 10-20 feet, any time you feel any pressure at all in your ears.

11 feet is way too much to go without equalizing. 4 feet is enough to feel pain. 1 foot is enough to feel pressure. (Ear Barotraumas - Causes, Identification, and Treatment of Ear Barotraumas in Scuba Diving)

Thank you everyone for your input. I will definitely be more diligent with starting my equalization starting at the surface. Being at the recent scuba conference in Chicago and attending the session on equalization also made me realize why I also had a bloody nose from time to time as well - sinus squeeze. My ENT says my schnoz is free and clear of polyps and other issue that would cause any clearing issue. His suggestion was to take Afrin, but I'm unable to take that or any similar product anymore. From the information at the conference (presented by DAN), taking Sudafed and prepping for 2-3 weeks before a dive with Flonase or similar product may be my best chance of making sure my nasal passages and sinuses are as clear from gunk as possible. That along with a slow steady descent while equalizing will be the plan.

The thing that also bothers me a bit, especially with drift diving, is that if my group makes it to the bottom and I'm still at 15ft trying to equalize, I keep worrying about holding up the group or getting seperated.

Back
Top Bottom