Permanently marking different types of gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for your input. I put in to use (or at least tried) most suggestions. I applied the various solutions, and waited 3+ days before in water trials. In the end, I found I could find effective solutions for all the different materials of my dive gear at Michael's (or Hobby Lobby, etc.).

**Always clean the area with alcohol before application**

NEOPRENE, NYLON, WEBBING, TEXTURE, ETC.
I used scribbles 3D paint ($0.99 per ounce bottle). Dozen colors; the fluorescents are bright and work well with one coat, even over black neoprene. The 3D paint adheres great to neoprene, fabric, and other things with texture. The 3D does NOT stick to smooth rubber (fins) well, and the paint just peels off.

NOTE: I tried a white bottle with glitter thinking it'd dry like metallic white. Nope. I've now got my initials glittering like Vegas on the inside my 3mm; seems the white dried clear. Note, I said inside....

SMOOTH PLASTIC, RUBBER, FINS, ETC.
I tried the 3D paint on these items, but found they did not adhere well, and ended up peeling off, letter by letter. For these items, I found the paint pen most effective. I've used this method for years with success when marked in areas that don't get scuffed... the real issue with paint pens is re-application when needed.

In the end my main need was a method to mark my neoprene to distinguish it from all the other black stuff out there. I used .99 cent bottles of bright 3D paint from the craft store and marked mostly on the inside of my wetsuits, which is what's exposed while drying during surface interval.

I think I'll try and keep around the 3D paint (neon yellow & black), Paint pens (white & silver), and the good ol sharpie for whatever.

Thanks again! :D

I saw a marker system that utilized stencils and a small roller for marking your gear at the Dive and Travel Expo in Tacoma and I should have bought it right then and there but on the last day I forgot to get it and have never been able to find it since. Anyone out there know the product I'm talking about?

Glad you found your solutions. I went a different route and was able to get tiny stickers with my name on them - made with 3m reflective tape that sticks very well and does not fade or come off with water use, either salt, fresh or pool. Husband of the LDS owner is from the Philippines and gets them from someone there. Came on an 8x11 sheet with multiple sizes on it. They work GREAT and I have not had one come off yet in the 10 years I have been using them. Just thought I'd mention that option, it is spendy compared to the fabric paint and paint pens, but removable and nice looking too.

Thanks fab50diver & starfish.it that is exactly the product I wanted. Have ordered it and it's on it's why

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom