Personal bank loan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use SP regs mk25 /s600 got a bunch of them. DSS backplate, oxycheq wing. mares fins or jets if in a full suit. wet sit who knows. the DS is DUI

No one makes the best of everything. If they did we would all be physical copies of each other.

Last edited:
Maybe we could find a few people here that have extra gear just lying around and aren't using. I have a SP MK10 I purchased for using as a stage reg that is just sitting in a closet collecting dust. If you want to pay the shipping you can have it. Disclaimer I bought it used and have never had it serviced so I have no idea the condition of the internals but hey all you need now is a second stage and some gauges and your well on your way to an affordable foot in with SP gear if there is such a thing.

Ok, I am going to be harsh-Mom type advice.
If YOU don't have the money, then you are asking SOMEBODY else, (whether Freind , parent or credit card company) to buy you something, and you are promising to pay them back. But honestly, you are not buying. Not investing. Not carrying your own. This, for a hobby, can bleach the fun out of it.
If you can't pay it off every month, in full, credit cards are, in my opinion, a "Downward rip current on Nitrox"
I am trying to raise money for a dry suit, I have my dining room furniture on Craigslist and my kids old Lego toys and my best jewelry on EBAY. The only bid I got day one was for a 40 year old half-the-parts-missing-Lego kit. You Frickin' never know how your going to raise cash, but if I cant raise cash beforehand, I know I will be LESS likely to raise cash when I am diving with my newly aquired gear. I'll be too busy!
Rant over.

How will you feel if all your stuff gets stolen and you still have to make payments?
Use American Express card..lost,stolen,they replace it. But really, if you need to take out a loan to buy dive equipment,then financially at this time, diving is not something for you to do at this time. Wait until you can afford this activity. Realistically on the grand scheme of things , diving is not really expensive like a car,boat or airplane. But it is something that you should have a disposable income to be able to participate in. The actual gear can be considered inexpensive compared to the cost of going diving. Here in NY metro area a boat dive can cost $120 to $160 for a day that you do 2 dives, plus gas fills for tanks, gas for car,tolls,food, etc. stretch yourself budget wise get the gear, but cannot afford to go out and use it is foolish.

Last edited:
Use American Express card..lost,stolen,they replace it
On my honeymoon, my credit card flew into the ocean, and Amex hired a prop plane to fly a replacement card out to my island. Little did they know that I would not be able to pay off my wedding cost charges fast enough, (did eventually) and lost my card status. Amex was a "charge card" and had to be paid off monthly, not a "credit-card-interest-slave-ship-to-hell".

On my honeymoon, my credit card flew into the ocean, and Amex hired a prop plane to fly a replacement card out to my island. Little did they know that I would not be able to pay off my wedding cost charges fast enough, (did eventually) and lost my card status. Amex was a "charge card" and had to be paid off monthly, not a "credit-card-interest-slave-ship-to-hell".
True, I grew up if I could not pay off credit card the month it is due I could not buy what I wanted.

Ok, I am going to be harsh-Mom type advice.
If YOU don't have the money, then you are asking SOMEBODY else, (whether Freind , parent or credit card company) to buy you something, and you are promising to pay them back. But honestly, you are not buying. Not investing. Not carrying your own. This, for a hobby, can bleach the fun out of it.
If you can't pay it off every month, in full, credit cards are, in my opinion, a "Downward rip current on Nitrox"
I am trying to raise money for a dry suit, I have my dining room furniture on Craigslist and my kids old Lego toys and my best jewelry on EBAY. The only bid I got day one was for a 40 year old half-the-parts-missing-Lego kit. You Frickin' never know how your going to raise cash, but if I cant raise cash beforehand, I know I will be LESS likely to raise cash when I am diving with my newly aquired gear. I'll be too busy!
Rant over.
Thanks, Mom :) - but I do fully agree. If diving was your profession, then a loan might make sense. However, it is is a hobby, then a loan suggests you are living beyond your means. Of course - to each, his own...

I stopped diving years ago, I can no longer afford it and may never return.

The average dive professional has a day job to pay for his credit card expenses.

Bob
Understood - my point was that a loan might make sense if one was a pro (especially if just starting) as the equipment is then sort of an investment for future earnings. Still best to buy what you can pay for, if possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom