Personal experience with Shearwater Petrel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you eventually do get into rebreathers, keep in mind that the Petrel (without the Fischer cable connector) can only run a fixed setpoint. That is, it will not monitor your machine and will not alter your decompression profile based on your actual PPO2, so the impetus will be on you to hold the machine tightly to the fixed PPO2 you configure in the unit. It's obviously better two have two computers wired to the unit, but it's not required.

If you opt for a Petrel with the Fischer connector, you'll have to make sure that whichever CCR you purchase is compatible with that type of connection. It is likely that you will end up buying whatever electronics come with your CCR and using the Petrel as a back-up to your primary electronics.

Thank you for the great advice. I've learned quite a bit from this thread. You guys are awesome!

I just bought myself the Petrel. So far I'm loving it and can't wait to get it in the water. My daughter is very jealous. LOL.

The petrel is an awesome computer, easy and intuitive to use, simple to download dives and info from. Easy to read and navigate under water. I'd take some time to read the whole manual and get an idea of what all it can do for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My apologies for being naïve on the subject but my understanding is that it is recommended if not indeed required in rebreather diving to have two computers, one integrated with the rebreather and the other as backup? If this is true then my intention for the computer I am buying now would be to eventually become a backup for the one that would be integrated with the rebreather. I am thinking that the Standalone / EXT pair would do well in this setup and so I should be good with buying a standalone as the first on my shopping list? Please let me know if my understanding here is incorrect.

Again, many thanks!

It is generally recommended (& a good idea :D),.. but I have not heard of it being mandatory. Right now, I have only my Predator on my PRISM2. I am in the works to get a Fischer cable ordered & installed for the Petrel EXT as a back- up computer. If you plan to or are fairly certain you will be rebreather diving within the next 2-3 yrs... an EXT would not be a bad idea, if you are unsure,... I would suggest just going with a stand alone, that's a lot of $ for a feature you may or may not use.

Got my Petrel on Friday ! Its a stand-alone, I'm still on OC, so no need for the fisher...yet, cannot wait to dive it, prob this weekend. One, some what silly question, mine came with the standard clip straps, I was just wondering how people actually mount them. I usually wear my computers on my right arm, and Petrel is fine for this, but which side is there a preference/intended side for the buckles? I can't seem to put the unit on and then pull the straps tight, so I need to questimate the diameter then push it up my arm if its a bit loose, how about with dry-suits, they change depending on depth, will tend to be tight at the bottom depth (max air in the suit) and loosen up as I let gas out during my ascent?

Any tips please.

Bungee. Shearwater even makes a grommeted adapter that makes running bungee through it much easier.

Petrels come with their own bungee strips in the box. The grommeted rubber adapter made for the Predator will not fit the Petrel. I suggest getting thick bungee that's the same diameter as the holes; thinner bungee with a big knot will work for a while, but is more prone to wear down the holes in the mounting strips and eventually pull through.

I am using my Petrel with the straps it came orginally with, by slipping it up the arm, which also avoids to have stress on the clips when opening and closing. (Btw I prefer the left arm).

Diving it with dry and wetsuits and never had an issue of it slipping downwards, just set it so it is really tight at the beginning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom