Personal GPS/EPIRB for divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lulubelle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,

A diver was lost today here in NC, and luckily the captain found him. Guy didn't even have his SMB with him :shakehead: But it got me thinking.

I know they make GPS units/Personal EPIRBs for divers. I have heard that some boats in some locations provide them to their divers should they get pulled out to sea. Do any of you have them? Any recommendations on specific products?

I am actually thinking about buying one. I've never been pulled away from the boat here in NC, but it is possible. It isn't that easy for the boat to see a smaller SMB with our big waves. I am also planning to travel to the Galapagos where I am told that it is a good idea to have one.

So please, chime in if you have one or have an opinion about them.

Hello all,

A diver was lost today here in NC, and luckily the captain found him. Guy didn't even have his SMB with him :shakehead: But it got me thinking.

I know they make GPS units/Personal EPIRBs for divers. I have heard that some boats in some locations provide them to their divers should they get pulled out to sea. Do any of you have them? Any recommendations on specific products?

I am actually thinking about buying one. I've never been pulled away from the boat here in NC, but it is possible. It isn't that easy for the boat to see a smaller SMB with our big waves. I am also planning to travel to the Galapagos where I am told that it is a good idea to have one.

So please, chime in if you have one or have an opinion about them.

Epirb/Personel Locater Beacon. I have one a Mcmurdo fastfind plus, However I have never had to use it so how well it works ? You can read about it....Buy.com - Revere Mcmurdo Fastfind Plus Max G W/Built In Gps

I used to dive with a McMurdo epirb in the dive canister. It's a pretty neat set-up, reasonably compact, and attaches easily on a cam band. I sold it because it was too heavy to carry on flights (I carry a lot of camera gear in addition to my dive kit), but that might not be an issue for you.

P8080012.jpg

I dive with a Standard Horizon Waterproof HX850S with built in GPS, strobe and "Panic Button" which squawks like an EPIRB. I like the idea of being able to call my dive boat and give them my coordinates rather than alert the Coast Guard. With this system I have the ability to call in the Coast Guard as a last resort if I can't reach a surface vessel in the area. I had my canister modified so I could put the entire unit in without streeing the antennae.

What the dive world needs is a waterproof, depth rated PLB that can slip on a harness strap.

A simple signal mirror can do wonders.

N

What the dive world needs is a waterproof, depth rated PLB that can slip on a harness strap.
Our boat in Cocos gave us a radio (VHF?) transmitter that did not require a housing. They told us we had about 5 minutes on the surface to use it before the current would take us out of range (or maybe just out of the area local enough for a successful search).

P8080012.jpg

I dive with a Standard Horizon Waterproof HX850S with built in GPS, strobe and "Panic Button" which squawks like an EPIRB. I like the idea of being able to call my dive boat and give them my coordinates rather than alert the Coast Guard. With this system I have the ability to call in the Coast Guard as a last resort if I can't reach a surface vessel in the area. I had my canister modified so I could put the entire unit in without streeing the antennae.

This is the same unit I carry. I do alot of solo diving from my boat and was afraid I would surface and find it gone.

dw

Umm, the link says it is only waterproof to 38 feet? Do all currently available products have to be kept in a housing?

The one I provided the link to doe's. You purchase it at the same place you get the Mcmurdo from. Other brands I don't know.

The problem with dive PLBs is that unless they have a canister to house them, they are not depth rated. Also, they only work on the surface. Once you get the antenna under the water, the functionality is lost. So, if you do have a PLB, and you need to deploy it, keep the antenna out of the water. Also read your owners manual and become familar with what is the best way to position the unit.
The unit Valdimir is proably a transmitter that works in conjunction with the receiver on the boat. This would be similar to a Man Overboard Beacon or MOB. They are great if they know you are lost. They typically run on the lower frequencies and are dependent on a receiver.. and somebody listening.
From what I understand, the VHF radio mentioned works well also, but does not transmit the 406MHz signal that alerts Search and Rescue.
To end some confusion (that always seems to pop up in these conversations) A PLB (And EPIRB) works on the 406MHz signal. It signal is sent through Cospas-Sarat, an international satallite system devoted to search and rescue. Using Doppler shift, you can be located to within 1 nm. If the first transmission burst includes your GPS coordinates, the location drops to 100m, and SAR is notified within 2-15 min instead of up to an hour with 406 MHz only.
A PLB is registered to the person. For boaters, an EPIRB is similar, but more robust, has automatic activation and is registered to the boat or vessel.
nemrod, you are correct, we need a dive beacon that is depth rated.
A signaling mirror works great if the sun is shinning, at night or if cloudy they suck. You are better off with a strobe light. This is a nice little light and strobe, though it floats, so you have to tuck it in someplace.
Firefly Plus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom