Personal GPS/EPIRB for divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The VHF radio that Doubler is touting is just a short range way to contact someone who is listening. It would be fine close to shore or near a boat that is on the same channel, but for someone 70 miles out, like htose football players that were fishing out of Florida, it won't do you any good. You would have to wait for someone in a shp/boat to cruse near enough, and to be listing for your call.

EBIRPs signal via satalite and will provide rescue just about anywhere. Yea, so they don't work underwater. Neither does a signal mirror or a whistle. The whole idea is it you make it to the surface alive and you are then stranded, it will provide rescue. If you are dying underwater then you have bigger problems that technology is not going to fix for you.

If I wasn't as cheep as Nimrod I would have gotten either the McMurdo McMurdo or the ACR Welcome to ACR Electronics. The Science of Survival. EPIRB already with the scuba canister McMurdo

(OCD here... )

McMurdo's is a PLB. :)
big difference between a PLB and an EPIRB...
also, not everything that calls itself a PLB or a EPIRB is necessarily so...Sea Marshall and Spot are the first two that come to mind. Neither are, yet are advertised as so.

Ok, you opened the worm can, now I expect a full explaination of the difference.

I have the Mcmurdo and an OMS canister ($50). so for $200 I can be certian that in the worst possible situation I have a very good chance of surviving. it is slightly buoyant as I have it but I could certainly put a pound or so inside the cap to make it neutral. its total weight is about 2#.

(some PLB's only locate you, they do not send a "rescue me" request to the coast guard, an EPrib when activated is a request to be rescued).

Ok, you opened the worm can, now I expect a full explaination of the difference.

Since you asked...:D
EPIRBs float in an upright position to transmit (perform best when floating)
PLBs float so they won’t get lost, some need pouch to float. (They need to be held out of the water or attached high up on PFD for best transmission)

EPIRBs transmit for a minimum of 48hrs at temps down to -40C or -20C (Longer in nominal temps)
PLBs transmit for a minimum 24 hrs at temps down to -20C (Longer in nominal temps)

EPIRBs can be manually activated in or out of their bracket or automatically activated when out of the bracket and in the water
PLBs are manually activated

EPIRBs have a strobe light
PLBs are not required to have a strobe (some newer versions have flashing LEDs)

EPIRBs are designed to be mounted in a bracket or carried in a ditch bag
PLBs are designed to be worn or carried on your persons

EPIRBs are registered to the vessel
PLBs are registered to the person and are legal to be used on land as well

I would also add that if you are out on the boat by yourself, a PLB strapped to your body is better than an EPIRB in a bracket if you go overboard. If you have competent crew that could activate an EPIRB in your absence, than an EPIRB is the way to go.

Both are required to be registered with NOAA. It’s quick, easy and free and can be done online at Emergency Beacon Registration Redirection Welcome Page

I hope this is helpful.
(I didn't write this, but have an OK to repost...originally written here..The Hull Truth - View Single Post - EPIRB's...which one?)

The above pertains to all PLBs and EPIRBs. If the device doesn't meet certain requirements as set by the governing agencies, (I think, the FCC) then they can not call themselves EPIRB or PLB.
SailNakled:
(some PLB's only locate you, they do not send a "rescue me" request to the coast guard, an EPrib when activated is a request to be rescued).
The original signal goes to Cospas-Sarsat, the only worldwide SAR Satellite network. If the signal does not go to CS, then it is not a PLB or EPIRB.. Spot is such one device. It goes to it's own private satellite, GlobalStar (?) who has a call center. Those that answer the call deem if it is an emergency and contact SAR.

Hello all,

A diver was lost today here in NC, and luckily the captain found him. Guy didn't even have his SMB with him :shakehead: But it got me thinking.

I know they make GPS units/Personal EPIRBs for divers. I have heard that some boats in some locations provide them to their divers should they get pulled out to sea. Do any of you have them? Any recommendations on specific products?

I am actually thinking about buying one. I've never been pulled away from the boat here in NC, but it is possible. It isn't that easy for the boat to see a smaller SMB with our big waves. I am also planning to travel to the Galapagos where I am told that it is a good idea to have one.

So please, chime in if you have one or have an opinion about them.

I carry a Sea Marshall PLB8-LD SOS which has a 100m dept rating, it is a 121.5 MHz homing beacon that also flashes Morse code SOS. The satellite monitoring of this frequency was discontinued Feb 1, 2009, so now satellites only monitor 406 MHz EPIRB's to gather your GPS coordinates but home in on your location using 121.5 MHz. If you tell everyone at the dive center including the boat crew you carry a 121.5 MHz locating beacon all rescue aircraft still have the ability to home in on your location.

You may also purchase a 406 MHz EPIRB that also sends a homing signal on 121.5 MHz, ACR AquaLink View PLB-350C which will also let you send a simple text, it is only waterproof to 5m, so you would keep it in a waterproof bag while diving.

acrelectronics.com/product2.aspx?sku=2884

I have a Fast find plus (with GPS), a life line radio, signal mirror, dye canisters and diver alert noise signal. having been left behind I can say having some safety gear is sure a peace of mind thing, the feeling when you realise you are alone is not pleasant.

The Fast find works fine, it accidentally activated once when it got wet and they were warming up the chopper when I rang them. It will work anywhere in the world and will let your registered country SAR centre know you are in trouble.

Diver alert is a great device as its noisy up to 800m. Used it once at Bali when we got pulled away by a current and boat didn't realise it, signalled another closer boat and they contacted our boat (which was other side of small island) and we were picked up, otherwise next stop Australia. Down side is you need air to use it.

Life line is ok if your boat has VHF radio, and perhaps if it has a VHF DSC radio which shows your GPS position if activated. Many third world country small dive boats have no radio so it then wont help much. Good for first world country diving though.

Mirror is cheap and great if the sun shines. Dye signal cheap and works for plane searches.

I dive with a McMurdo epirb in the dive canister, in addition to my full-size Nikon camera and strobes.

Back
Top Bottom