Perspiration or Leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SilverSurfer7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Yesterday, while waiting to get in the water, I began to sweat in my drysuit. While diving I felt slightly chilled. Upon surfacing I noticed a thin layer of moisture on my undersuit( not underneath). This seems like it would be sweat. Could it be a leak?

Thanks

Sounds like sweat/condensation.

If/when your drysuit leaks, there will be little question...

- it will be locallized
- it will be more than " a thin layer "
- you will notice it while in the water, not after the dive

:)

Remember too that once you suit up the air in your suit is going to go to a higher percent of humidity. Also the humidity in the suits air and the difference in the water temp will cause extreme condensation at time. Like the condensation of a cold glass of water on a hot summer's day!

I too thought my drysuit MUST have a small leak in it when I first started drysuit diving.

Jeremy

bronce32:
Yesterday, while waiting to get in the water, I began to sweat in my drysuit. While diving I felt slightly chilled. Upon surfacing I noticed a thin layer of moisture on my undersuit( not underneath). This seems like it would be sweat. Could it be a leak?

Thanks

When the suit leaks the water on the under arments will be localized near the site of the leak. If the moisture is all over then it's condensation.

JKSteger:
Remember too that once you suit up the air in your suit is going to go to a higher percent of humidity. Also the humidity in the suits air and the difference in the water temp will cause extreme condensation at time. Like the condensation of a cold glass of water on a hot summer's day!

I too thought my drysuit MUST have a small leak in it when I first started drysuit diving.

Jeremy
nice explanation!!!! i also recently started diving a drysuit, and had the very same questions, i think you explained it better then anyone ever did for me!!!!

Thanks fellas. After shelling out of for a drysuit, I was beginning to get a little nervous at the prospect of a leak.

Thanks Again

Most likely the moisture is sweat. Get systematic in your gear-up routine to make the process as fast as possible with as little movement and stress as possible. Take a dip as soon as you have the suit on to cool off, before you finish gearing up. Pour some cold water on your head to cool off while you wait to get in the water. Drink some cold water for the same reason. The last suggestion brings up a third possibility for the source of the...moisture...

bronce32:

Thanks

Good Posts, I myself have wondered about my suit. I find the Higher the Air Temp, the more I think my suit is leaking:huh: , on really cold days I never have had this happen:D . I guess because I'm not sweating in the suit. It really did freak me out at first, all this money and a leaky suit.

Back
Top Bottom