Pesky Deflator Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

only if you do it wrong.... Best way to use them is to pinch the cord right at the plastic body and with that you get much more accurate control than you do with the inflator, and certainly much more than just pulling on them

Just want to make sure the OP knows they can dump at a faster rate. I definitely agree they are more accurate than the inflator hose. Most people don't get that inflator hose high enough anyway.

If you're using the deflator hose make sure you lift it up high enough. Sometimes gas can get trapped in the tube because you don't extend it far enough.

As others have pointed, the pull dump valve is the best option. You should have one on your right shoulder and probably near one or two of bottom corners of the BCD near your bottom. For my past two BCDs I have never used the in/deflator hose for dumping air. Much easier to access and use.

the pull dumps should be used if at all possible. If you are using the corrugated inflator hose, it has to be at the highest position in the water column otherwise it won't dump. You can do that at 45* up angle, but you also have to roll to the side to get it to come out. Much better to go slightly head down and use the bottom dump valves, or if you have a right shoulder dump, go slightly head up and right shoulder up, and dump from that. I use wings that only have a pull dump on the bottom left, so I have to go head down, right shoulder down to dump, but that is the best way to get all of the air out

I know you know this tbone but that only works if you are using a donut shaped bladder. Many if not most bladders are horseshoe in shape. With a horseshoe design, to ensure all the air is at (the single) rear dump, you must first go head up then roll to whichever side the dump is on then head down again to get all the air to that dump. With horseshoe designs with single rear dumps, it's wasted effort to use the rear dump since you have to go head up to divert the air to the correct side, might as well just use the shoulder dump at that point. With a horseshoe design, raising the left shoulder, holding the deflator hose up high is the simplest and most efficient method, esp for new divers.

@herman I'd argue that it's more because new divers don't dive in truly flat trim... That said, most of my wings are actually horseshoes and with the exception of my Nomad XT since the inflators are swapped, I still have no issue dumping from the bottom. Roll right first and almost all of the air goes over to the left, then lean forward and dump

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom