Pet peeves of SCUBA diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best way to alleviate much of the frustration and annoyance associated with many of the above posts is to start diving solo.

True! :)

My pet peeve is people who make a noise underwater. This can be with a tank banger, rattler, quacker ... whatever. I hate it! Hatesssss it I tell you!

Those and students who don't follow instructions underwater (although they do have an excuse) are what makes me chew through my mouth pieces ... literally.

Oh you would hate diving with me then. I have been known to sing and sometimes even break into dance moves underwater. Unfortunately, I am tone deaf above and below the surface. And this usually just happens in the cold less exciting waters of Southern Ontario where I am not scaring away fish.

I absolutely Hate
divers who think everything is ok or safe as long as they have a "buddy" in the water at the same time as them. You all know what I'm talking about. Getting paired up with some stranger on a boat at random, quick introductions, hop in the water, and poof* they take off like there's no tommorrow.

I was certified with my girlfriend several years ago, and we have done most of our diving together from day one. Initially we had gone with dive instructers, so as two rookies, we (stupidly) believed we were completely safe with someone of such experience. Then we went on a quick dive trip to Washington. Great dive shop, they took us out on their boat and said go have fun. Just the two of us. We basically had our very own private dive boat for 3 days since it was the slow season and no one else was diving. Now all of a sudden, we are completely dependant on ourselves. we were cold water drift diving at 75 feet with <25 ft vis. All of a sudden we had to really start planning our dives, no divemaster there to hold our hands. Really start looking out for each other, keeping tabs on each other's stress lvl, air, etc, essentially becoming good divers. Skip ahead 50 dives.
At this point in our couples diving, we make a damn good pair. We both use 13 cu ponies, (cuz you just never know) and we can anticipate each other when diving. hand signals are a breeze and we both can anticipate each other in the water.

Skip ahead to Bonaire
So Im a much bigger addict than my girlfriend is (arn't we all?). We met up with a group of friends down in Bonaire, had a blast, but before they showed up, I decided that I wanted to get the padi wreck diver cert. The wreck they have down there is the Helma Hooker. Im sure true wreck divers will scoff at it even being called a wreck, since there is minimal silt deposits (settles in seconds) very open rooms with multiple exits, and great vis with no currents, but I still loved it. So I sign up for the course, and when it comes time for the dives, I'm paired up with some guy who claimed to have a fairly good grasp on the situation (60+ dives). Keep in mind this is the first dive I've ever done with an assigned buddy. We talk about the dive plan, hop in the water, swim out the marker bouy and drop down together. Did I mention that I dive with a pony? This fella takes off as soon as we submerged and went on his own gameplan. FYI the hooker rests at about 90 ft. I let the divemaster know and about at the "lets go back mark" he shows up. Gives us a thumbs up then takes off again. I've done a few solo dives to take pictures, never > 35 ft, so I wasn't exactly comfortable but I wasnt nervous either. After the dive we were all talking by the pickup on the beach. I asked the guy what he was up to, he just replied he wanted to go exploring. The divemaster (a really mellow, nice guy) was joking with him to not be so reckless since him and myself were the only two on the dive with ponies. Since then I have learned a lot more about self reliance when diving.

My point to all of this is this: because of this diver's complete lack of situational awareness and common sense, that dive turned into a solo dive for the two of us. So next time you're on a trip and you get teamed up with another joker like this one, realize you may be diving solo, and that if and when anything goes wrong, no one will be there for you but yourself. Either pick your dive buddies carefully or learn how to be self sufficient.

...Then again, you should never go into the water in the first place putting all of your trust on someone else for your safety.

Pet Peeves:
Divers (from 4 dives to several hundred or more in their log books) who don't know or care what their fins are doing to the corals or bottom. That also includes the wake that the fins produce.

Divers who wear their mask on their foreheads, or those that constantly tell them not to.

Divers who smoke on a small boat without the courtesy to even ask if anyone minds (or is highly allergic to it and has to scrub dives because of the reactions)

Bragger divers - we've all seen them. I see many due to all my vast knowledge and skills.......

Hot dogs and buns ratios....why!

Stupid people...although since their mass outbreak into society I doubt that one can be overcome anytime soon!

Best part about diving..... we can!

My diving peeves:

Flat seas and sun during the week; clouds, wind and swell on the weekend.
Putting on a wet wetsuit.
Climbing back up the hill from the beach to the carpark (I know "harden up").
Stinkpot drivers using dive flag as racing buoy.

As for the people you meet diving; there are ********s everywhere, but there seem to be many more at the pub, or the cricket, or at work than I meet diving.

My pet peeves

Divers with rigid thinking. Believing that there way is the only way. I prefer the take what you need and leave the rest kind of attitude.

As for being a new diver. I was blessed to tag along with my instructor for my early dives after certification. It gave me a sense of security while allowing me to get some bottom time. The mentoring that can happen between new diver and experienced diver can be priceless.

Which brings me to another pet peeve...experienced divers who forget they were once new divers too, and treat them with intolerance and judgement.

I hate when people say that they are going to stab any OOA diver who panics and goes for their primary reg instead of the Octo. Another pet peeve are CPR certified people who say they won't perform CPR on anyone other than their family members.
Im sure you dont think of anyone in particular :eyebrow:

My biggest Scuba Related pet peeve = WINTER (primarily because the dry suit has yet to make it to the top of the list. I keep finding other things I want.
Agreed, except that I have the drysuit but that dont help very much when the water is solid and I cant (in a safe manner) do any ice-diving.

My pet peeves

Divers with rigid thinking. Believing that there way is the only way. I prefer the take what you need and leave the rest kind of attitude.

As for being a new diver. I was blessed to tag along with my instructor for my early dives after certification. It gave me a sense of security while allowing me to get some bottom time. The mentoring that can happen between new diver and experienced diver can be priceless.

Which brings me to another pet peeve...experienced divers who forget they were once new divers too, and treat them with intolerance and judgement.
I try my best to keep my mind open, but people who try pushing their way as the only way tends to make me shut down :(

Experienced <anythings> that have forgotten they where once new to it and think new <anythings> should know everything they have used many years to learn themselves is a pain in the.. Lower back area.

Experienced <anythings> that have forgotten they where once new to it and think new <anythings> should know everything they have used many years to learn themselves is a pain in the.. Lower back area.

So true. I see it in my profession. "Seasoned" RN's who don't want to work with the new grads or students, forgetting that they themselves were once a student and then a new grad :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom