Petrel 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble_blower87

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
New to diving and I am looking to get a dive computer. I want the petrel 2 just because of the tech aspect which is the main reason I started diving. (I want to dive caves). Is this over kill or what guys?

Yes. But if you are going to indulge in an expensive computer the Petrel 2 seems like a pretty decent one to indulge in. Realistically, you can dive for quite a while before you need anything over a $250 computer, as most people find it takes a lot of diving and then more skills practice to have the control and comfort you need for a cave course. Or so I hear, as I haven't gotten there yet.

Sometimes I just need to hear no that's a bad idea. I tend to think like a snob when it comes to certain things and I am absolutely not a snob. I just think to myself with this equipment...if its cheap it might kill me haha.

BUBBLE

I use a petrel and am overjoyed with it. In fact I have one predator 2 petrel1's and a petrel 2. The compass feature is great. holding at a 45 angle is little effect on its operation. the computer is as intuitive as you cang et. left button for scrolling and right button for select. if buttons do anything else the screen will tell you. it is a computer that will last you for years to come. the display is easily readable with not so good eyes to boot. I read the operators manual for the first one and have not read one since. the buttons are large so you can wear gloves and use it. no cables to connect its blue tooth linking. shearwater is absolutely fantastic for service and help. no special batteries and you can use I hink 3 or so types of batteries. tehcomputer adapts to what you put in from ls400's to duracel 1.5's and lith at 1.2v

I really think it looks like a cool computer. I want it but I think only because of the idea of getting into tech diving. And that's still at least 1 or 2 years out. I need a good regulator set up too so I am just trying to decide if its worth it to make the purchase now when I need other gear also when I may not use it to full potential for possibly 2 years. Heck the 3 might be out by then. I guess the real question is what are the advantages over the petrel compared to say the 400 dollar amphos sherwood. These two I ask about because my LDS keeps them and the cobalt (which im really not interested in)

The Petrel is a great computer and has a Recreational mode that makes it appealing to non-tech divers. The only thing I would caution is that you thoroughly understand what all the settings mean. It's a very comprehensive and flexible computer that puts a lot of power in the diver's hands. The user interface is very intuitive and easy to use but if you do not know what you're doing or have something accidentally switched on or off, you could get yourself into trouble.

So if you do get one, read the manual thoroughly and really get to know your Petrel!

cheers.

The Petrel is a great computer and has a Recreational mode that makes it appealing to non-tech divers. The only thing I would caution is that you thoroughly understand what all the settings mean. It's a very comprehensive and flexible computer that puts a lot of power in the diver's hands. The user interface is very intuitive and easy to use but if you do not know what you're doing or have something accidentally switched on or off, you get get yourself into trouble.

So if you do get one, read the manual thoroughly and really get to know your Petrel!

cheers.
Yeah from what I can tell that should standard practice with all dive computers. I believe there's a post going on right now kind of talking about that. I have noticed Shearwater has several videos and a lot of information out there. Sounds like some people think its to much computer than a beginner needs and some think it is no problem.

If the cost is not an issue, buy a petrel. A solid computer that will work great now and when you progress in your training, and in most types of dives.
If cost is an issue, buy a cheap entry level computer, learn what you need, want and don't want from a DC then, when this computer becomes to restrictive for the dives you wanna do, sell it and buy a computer with the bells and whistles you figured out you needed.

Yeah from what I can tell that should standard practice with all dive computers. I believe there's a post going on right now kind of talking about that. I have noticed Shearwater has several videos and a lot of information out there. Sounds like some people think its to much computer than a beginner needs and some think it is no problem.

It should be standard practice with all computers but because of the amount of customization the Petrel gives you, and the ease of use in which it's presented makes it all the more an important consideration.

For example, if you violate certain parameters some computers will lock you out... the Petrel will warn you but no lock-outs. The Petrel will allow you to make very precise conservative dive settings... even during a dive through the use of Gradient Factors and or VPM settings... other computers have preset conservative settings that don't give you as much flexibility and limit your options more for "safety reasons". On the Petrel you can switch gases on and off during a dive and have multiple gases programmed in, if you're not using them, your calculations will be very different. With non mixed gas computers for entry level sport diving this is completely a non issue ar at least less complicated if your only diving one Nitrox gas. There are several more examples but Im sure you understand what I'm getting at. An entry level computer without all the features of the Petrel is less likely to allow for as much user error.

This should not deter you from getting a Petrel.. it's just something to be aware of if you're considering one.

It should be standard practice with all computers but because of the amount of customization the Petrel gives you, and the ease of use in which it's presented makes it all the more an important consideration.

For example, if you violate certain parameters some computers will lock you out... the Petrel will warn you but no lock-outs. The Petrel will allow you to make very precise conservative dive settings... even during a dive through the use of Gradient Factors and or VPM settings... other computers have preset conservative settings that don't give you as much flexibility and limit your options more for "safety reasons". On the Petrel you can switch gases on and off during a dive and have multiple gases programmed in, if you're not using them, your calculations will be very different (although in NDL dives this is less of an issue). With non mixed gas computers for entry level sport diving this is completely a non issue ar at least less complicated if your only diving one Notrix gas. There are several more examples but Im sure you understand what I'm getting at. An entry level computer without all the features of the Petrel is less likely to allow for as much user error.

This should not deter you from getting a Petrel.. it's just something to be aware of if you're considering one.
Ahh now I see what you mean. I don't want to be sitting at the bottom of the ocean for sure. I am the type that wants to thoroughly understand what I am dealing with. My main concern was getting the computer and it being possibly out dated by the time I actually get around to using its full potential. But it looks like KWS is still using several older models of shearwater. Due to it being cold I am not in a rush to buy all my gear which allows me some time to think and save and get better stuff if I choose. Then again I could use some of that money, drive to florida and just diver more during the winter! Decisions.......

---------- Post added November 26th, 2015 at 05:41 AM ----------

I also maybe should have posted this in the computer forum. Which I just seen existed. I am new though guys!

Back
Top Bottom