Petrel shows 1m depth at surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pozz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a dive on sunday I found my petrel kept showing 1m even after surfacing, resetting it (by pulling the battery) seems to have fixed it (it worked fine on today's dive).
is my depth sensor on its way out? anyone else had it happening?

Incidentally, I also noticed that the difference between the depth shown by the petrel and another instrument is greater the shallower I get (ie. they may show only 0.2m different @40m but there is almost 1m delta at around 2m)
if the discrepancy is only due to the density setting they use shouldn't it be linear?

One great thing about the Petrel is its customer service. Send this same question to Shearwater and you will get a very helpful answer.

I did have this happen to mine. Got in touch with SW, I sent it to them and it was the sensor. They replaced it and had it back to me pretty quickly.

Interesting. I've noticed that my Petrel and Vyper (gauge mode) are about 1/2 a meter difference at 35m (35m vs 35.5m) but at 44.1m on my Petrel my Vyper is running 45.3m. Quite a difference for only a 10m difference in depths. Regardless, I trust the Petrel since it's doing the deco calcs, but I'd want to figure out which was more accurate if I was going any deeper. Narc'd at 45m on air it was a slight concern.

Interesting. I've noticed that my Petrel and Vyper (gauge mode) are about 1/2 a meter difference at 35m (35m vs 35.5m) but at 44.1m on my Petrel my Vyper is running 45.3m. Quite a difference for only a 10m difference in depths. Regardless, I trust the Petrel since it's doing the deco calcs, but I'd want to figure out which was more accurate if I was going any deeper. Narc'd at 45m on air it was a slight concern.

Where are you diving?

I learned that when I dive at altitude, I have to make sure that the Petrel is on before I submerge. It will turn itself on if you submerge with it off, but it will not know the altitude and will misread the depths.

This was in Costa Rica, offshore. Petrel matched very closely to my buddies Vyper Air in gauge mode, it was clearly my Vyper that was the outlier. Altitude settings on all are set to auto. I was just surprised at the change in offset between the two at a relatively minor change in depth compared to the previous dives to 35m.

I trust the Shearwater stuff implicitly. Enough that I'm looking for a Predator to run as a backup instead of the Suunto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom