Vyper - depth is wrong, started mid-dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I went diving yesterday. Suunto Vyper in a console, Shearwater Petrel 2 on my wrist. About 40 minutes into the dive, I noticed my Vyper was reading 7 feet shallower than my Shearwater. They were reading the same earlier in the dive. I confirmed the Vyper depth was wrong since my buddy's Oceanic computer depth matched my Petrel. I've never seen this before; the only problems I've had with Vypers (3 different ones counting mine and my wife's) is they start diving on their own and the depth sensor is shot. This time it consistently read 7 feet too shallow, showed 0 at the surface, and shut off normally

Is this one ready for the garbage like our others that had the depth sensor fail? If so, will any other manufacturer's puck computer fit into a Suunto console?

The depth sensor has failed and it will get worse. Next it will go to you being at 200 feet while on the surface.

The depth sensor has failed and it will get worse. Next it will go to you being at 200 feet while on the surface.
That's what I was afraid of. This one didn't last as long as my last one! Are Suuntos just getting worse and worse?

How long did you own Vyper before it crapped out? I just bought two for Christmas and worry they won't work.

How long did you own Vyper before it crapped out? I just bought two for Christmas and worry they won't work.
I think this was 3 or 4 years old

I checked with the local Level 2 Suunto service center yesterday. Warranty on my Vyper was 2 years, with 5 years for depth sensor related issues. This one was purchased in late 2012, so it looks like it might be replaced under warranty, I would guess with new Vyper since my model is discontinued. Only issue I see is the new ones don't fit into the old consoles. More to follow...

From what I heard back so far - the depth sensor is kaput. I bought the computer as just the puck, since it was a replacement. So the warranty doesn't cover the depth sensor for 5 years. Best I can do is buy a new Zoop Novo in the console, with SPG and compass, since the new Zoop doesn't fit in the old console. Sucks

My cobra went wonky after 5 years but only like 30 dives. Couldnt be fixed. Cost me $700 at the time and I went to an analog gauge since with a cheap wrist computer for convenience in quickly looking at depth. Wont buy an expensive console ever again.

My cobra went wonky after 5 years but only like 30 dives. Couldnt be fixed. Cost me $700 at the time and I went to an analog gauge since with a cheap wrist computer for convenience in quickly looking at depth. Wont buy an expensive console ever again.
I totally agree. I've dived with a Shearwater Petrel 2 on my wrist for the past few years, and while it's not a cheap computer, think the world of it and wouldn't think of diving anything else. However, my wife is much more comfortable if we have the same gear for a lot of things, so the replacement console with the new Zoop is more for her peace of mind. I'll just yank out the piece where my old Vyper went in my old console and keep that as a backup SPG and compass. Suunto is running a special now with free compass when you buy a Zoop Novo, so that's a minor consolation

Back
Top Bottom