PG diving - crazy drift diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
We are trying to plan a big trip to Philippines and we are looking at Puerta Gallera as our first time there. I have heard that it is drift diving but I would like some specifics. Is it crazy drift diving all the time? Is it like Cozumel or Palau where the boat drops you off with DM and you drift and then boat picks you up wherever you come up? Or is it where you fight the current for first half of dive, then drift back towards boat which is anchored?

thanks!:D

The drift diving depends on where you are in the tide cycle. It varies from site to site and can be 0 current to hold on to your hat we're going for a ride. Whatever the tide situation, the boats don't moor (except on the Alma Jane wreck and Sabang Wrecks), so it's always a drop off, then boat picks you up situation. You will not be fighting the currents to get back to any mooring. When the dive is over, the DM shoots a DSMB up and the boat will meet you at the surface. It's really easy; no worries there...:coffee:

Believe me, it's effortless... Unless you intentionally go on one of the adrenaline runs (like the Sinandigan express).. But you have to be looking for it... PI dive ops in general aim to please... That means lugging your gear, picking you up after you drift... Or even picking you up if there is no drift, but you're too lazy to swim back...:D They know a happy customer is good for them... You will be pampered...:D And then you'll never want to dive the Caribean again...:shakehead:

thanks codman!!! I have never really seen this discussed so I was a bit concerned. Sounds good now! :D

What Codman said...

I would just like to add that very often, the tide charts can be, let's say, slightly inaccurate. What you think is going to be an ebb is a good and steady flood... sometimes midway through a dive. Nature of the beast in PG. And another great reason to have the boat out there to pick you up.

Back
Top Bottom