Phi Phi dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reyzor

Registered
Reaction score
One word: Awesome.

did 10 dives over 4 days, which included my AOW.

The island truly is ready and practically rebuilt enough to accomodate almost everyone. Heaps & heaps of dive shops.. We went with Viking Divers - great bunch of people and highly recommended.

There are parts that are still being rebuilt, but the week we were there (31/01-05/02) there was walk in accomodation everywhere, and touts at the ferry asking for your business. Avg was about 1200-1400 baht a night for A/C & hot water. 3 weeks before that I was told that accomodation was pretty full up. Plenty of restaurants, bars, tour shops, etc.

I think I spotted 3 different banks with ATM's available, so no need to load up on dosh at Phuket.

All the dive shops have the (agreed) same price for everything so there is no competition, just go who you feel comfortable with.

Water was a constant 28C - I heard a lot of people say before hand I wouldn't need a wetsuit, but I took my 5mm suit along anyway. All the divemasters/instructers were wearing the same thing. I was completely comfortable the whole time and did not get hot at all.

Dived in order King Cruiser/Shark Point/Anemone Reef, Bida Nok, tonsai bay "bungalow" night and Ko Ha.

Highlight was definitely Ko Ha (where we ran into a 4-5m whale shark with a 2m cobia circling it. Visability was approx 30-35m. Amazing and lucky considering we were supposed to go to Hin Daeng the same day but couldn't get enough people for the boat (incidently, visibilty was very poor that same day from reports). Our AOW instructor couldn't make it that day because he had to do a visa run - he was devasted because he had only seen 3 before in over 300 dives in the area.

King Cruiser was a great wreck to dive with plently of Lion fish about. No sharks at Shark Point :( plus current was too strong to venture past protected the east( I think) side. 10m vis at all sites

Bida Nok is my second fav site of all time (after Ko Ha). Did it twice - first with Deep, then a fun dive on the other side. Saw a black tip reef shark and a huge Leopard shark sitting down at about 26m. Basically a big circular wall that starts at about 25m that you just slowly swim around and up until you reach 50bar. vis about 15m

The bungalow is a relic from the tsunami.. was right in the middle of the forshore, but they towed it out towards the western side of the bay. Not real interesting, but for our first night dive it was nice & easy.

In all, I was very hesitant with going to Phi Phi for a diving holiday considering the disaster of a year ago, especially with the lack of concrete info out on the web. As you can see I was pleasantly surpised and highly recommend it to everyone!

So glad to hear that things are back up and functional. Probably the best two weeks of a 3-month long diving/backpacking trip were spent there. The island is quite westernized, but I loved its beauty and enjoyed the diving there.

When I stayed there, you could easily get decent lodging for 400 Baht although w/out A/C so I wonder if prices have gone up considerably to help cover the costs of reconstruction.

Hi DrBill,

I believe you can still get cheaper places to stay, but many of the low price bungalows were destroyed on December 26th 2004. It is true that Phi Phi is heading more upmarket - ie there are more "nice" places to stay than there were 5 years ago, but the overall vibe is still "backpackery" (I just invented that word).

I'll be taking a trip over in April, and will be interested to see how things are. I last went over in June 2005.

Which place did you stay? I am gonna be spending 3-4 nights in Phi Phi after my liveaboard. Is Carlitos open?

Batfish:
Sure Carlitos is open.
That place is a single diving guy's dream. So many beautiful scandinavian girls and most of them divers.

jiveturkey:
That place is a single diving guy's dream. So many beautiful scandinavian girls and most of them divers.

Thailand alone is a single guy's dream.

No but I meant which hotel, inn, guesthouse is good? I do need A/C.

The bungalow (near Tiger Bar) I stayed at last time was wiped out by the sea. :-(

Batfish,

What's your name? I will stop by the dive shop in Patong to say hi and maybe if you are pretty I will buy you a beer. :)

What scuba service center do you recommend in Phuket? And what are the prices? I have to get my Seaquest Air Source serviced and connect all the hoses to my spanking new first stage.

Thanks.

Batfish:
Hi DrBill,

I believe you can still get cheaper places to stay, but many of the low price bungalows were destroyed on December 26th 2004. It is true that Phi Phi is heading more upmarket - ie there are more "nice" places to stay than there were 5 years ago, but the overall vibe is still "backpackery" (I just invented that word).

I'll be taking a trip over in April, and will be interested to see how things are. I last went over in June 2005.

I stayed in a place call Pronk Guesthouse. Very simple, just a queen size bed/small table in 1 room and a shower bathroom. That's all we wanted because we would spend a minimal amount of time there and don't really care for luxuries in that situation.

Unfortunately it was in the night bazaar and could get quite loud until about 1 or 2 in the morning, mostly from the Regae Bar.

Carlito's is still there, I had a few quiet beers there. I loved Apaches as well - great atmospheric bar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom