Phi Phi dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Phi Phi yesterday, brilliant place to dive, I go there most months for a quick weekend getaway. You can get bungalows with no aircon for as little as 500baht and with aircon for approx 800baht. I dont sleep with aircon so not 100% sure of this price.
The dive shops do all have the same prices so really it comes down to where they are diving that day. Phi Phi scuba is the biggest outfit there and they usually have 4 boats going to different sites each day.
Its coming to their low season due to the shift in the winds, so it will be their monsoon soon. Due to low season prices will come down, but the seas will be choppier. Phi Phi is a good base for diving Hin Daeng, which is famous for mantas between novemeber and jan. but apparently not many have been seen recently.
Koh lanta is another good spot for diving Hin Daeng and is more laidback and easy going than Phi Phi. Well worth a look next season, from November time. For now I would say start looking at Koh Tao, Pulau Redang, Pulau Perhentian's, Pulau Tioman and Pulau Aur/Dayang as their seasons are approaching.

Great to hear Phi Phi is on the mend. It was the very island which started my interest and desire to dive when I stayed there 4 years ago, and I am in the middle of my PADI OW as a result, unfortunately I am having to do the course in the cold of England. BUT I shall be going to Phi Phi shortly to put my learning to the test.Would you recommend the palce for a beginner diver? How is Phuket for diving as I stayed there as well. Phi Phi has got to be one of the loveliest places in the world and the people are so friendly.

I only did 2 dives on phuket (Tin Lizzy & Kamala) and although it was a nice, I enjoyed phi phi more - although I can't judge properly after just 2 dives at the 1 site.

Very easy to learn - If it is your first dive after a long time, or if you have just/in the middle of your OW, they will probably take you to Bida NoK or some other local site with no currents to worry about.

I believe that Phi Phi is a great place for relatively new divers, as there are some really easy dives to settle in, and then you can advance on to the slightly harder dives such as wreck and wall dives, after a few days and getting used to the dive leader. I reckon its a brilliant place to do the advanced course.

If you want to dive Phuket and Phi Phi, I would highly recommend Calypso Divers in Kata Beach as they do an over night Phi Phi Special which allows you to dive the sights on the way to Phi Phi such as King Cruiser, Shark Point, and Anemone Reef, and then dive the best sites around Phi Phi, such as Koh Bida Nok, Koh Bida Nai, and Hin Bida, and then usually a night dive in Maya Bay (where Hollywood's The Beach was filmed) extremely beautiful dives and between dives admire the magnificent rock formations that the Phi Phi islands have to offer, while sipping on your warm drink and tucking into your freshly cooked food. On the way back to Phuket dive one of the above mentioned sites between Phuket and Phi Phi, as well as Koh Doc Mai. All in all a brilliant trip, which always makes my customers happy, so I would highly recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom