Phi Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh do tell me the viz has improved since 1-15-07! I will cry if I jump into 5 m viz...well, at least the water will be warm. Maybe it was whale shark pee! Is that why they call it Phi Phi? Just kidding.... :)
susie

don't worry - typically the viz drops due to the moon but recovers soon enough - I've no idea what the moon is doing over there right now - BUT, although it might sound cold comfort, never forget, plankton, means lots of fish - and perhaps a few big guys - you just wont be able to see them !!!! :)

But seriously, try to modify your diving, look for the little stuff around Bida Nok / Nai take a long time with a short bit of reef and you'll be amazed what you'll find. Look out for large schools of snapper, and hunting tuna and Jacks. Try Nui Rocks - good for low viz hunting. My fav site in low viz would be bida Nai - 3 rocks, then a compass heading over to fanstsy reef ( so long as current is not too strong). Ask the DM. avioid Hin Dang / mung / King Crusier on days of low viz - generally you'll get a lot of current and see zip. BUT as I said - who knows.... It can be a good time to do some macro photograhphy - just modify your flash otherwise you'll get a lot of backscatter.

One of my friends - Clare - an old "ppite" runs a dive shop called Blue view divers over at view point resort. She's been diving PP for many years and is probably one of the best people to ask about conditions / places / what is where. Clare can spot a seahorse from 100m in the dark !! Do drop in and say Hi from Kep. Yeah OK - it's a plug for a mate but it is a good shop. If you dive with her you'll get to see the best Thai Captain in the world ( well Thailand anyway) Ban Sim is wonderful...!

By the way Phi Phi ( old spelling Pee Pee) means "many ghosts" but I know what you mean with the viz.

Please report back ! msg me at kmuncie2000@yahoo.com

cheers

Nice one Blue Kanga :D if Phi Phi meant many ghosts there would be no Thais living anywhere nearby! :D Phi Phi pronounced Pee Pee (longsounding ee with rising end) does mean many ghosts but in this case with the different tones (longsounding ee with drop tone) it is not so. The naming of Phi Phi, which is more Muslim orientated, actually comes from the southern Thai - Malay dialect called Yawee. It could come from the other southern Thai - Malay or Malayu dialect. Many Thais do not actually know what Phi Phi (as in the island) means - so it would be interesting to know what it really does mean. Any Thai - Malay Yawee speakers out there care to assist?

Ringo:
Any Thai - Malay Yawee speakers out there care to assist?

Won't claim any Yawanee expertise (and my malay is rusty), but most people seem to think the original name was Pulau Piapi in Malay, with Pulau meaning Island (of course). Piapi seem to be a particular type of tree growing in the mangrove forest...most commonly spelt Phi Phi now adays. And no, definately *not* many ghosts!!
-j-

I stand corrected !

I was always told "many ghosts" but I never really liked that explanation - gave me the creeps !!

Ringo - I think a Dutch friend of mine, Jetje and her boyfreind Pip stayed with you at PKT SC last year - early 2006. They reported good things about you. Always good to get nice feedback, so I thought I'd pass it on.

Ringo:
Thanks Blue Kanga - very nice to know!:hug2:
Also Josh interesting info....otherwise some people think Phi Phi is pronounced Fi Fi. Wonder what they think about Phuket?

LOL.....
-j-

Scuba Susie:
Oh do tell me the viz has improved since 1-15-07! I will cry if I jump into 5 m viz...well, at least the water will be warm. Maybe it was whale shark pee! Is that why they call it Phi Phi? Just kidding.... :)
susie

You must be here in Thailand by now. How is it going?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom