Philipines in 2 weeks - PLS HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Organizing a last minute romantic dive trip with my wife to be in early February and am trying to figure out where I should go in Philipines for the best combination of nice accomodation & food (the romantic side) and diving (the practical side).

My fiance may compromize i.e. will agree to a basic hotel if there are very high chances of seing a whale shark or Manta.

Please help, I am a bit unsure of where to go !

frogfish:
Organizing a last minute romantic dive trip with my wife to be in early February and am trying to figure out where I should go in Philipines for the best combination of nice accomodation & food (the romantic side) and diving (the practical side).

My fiance may compromize i.e. will agree to a basic hotel if there are very high chances of seing a whale shark or Manta.

Please help, I am a bit unsure of where to go !

How does this sound, roof deck or moon deck where you may drink wine at night squatting on the bamboo slat deck with stars above you (hopefully with no rain clouds), and if you are up late into the night you may get a chance to see several 'shooting stars' . during the wetter days there would be some firefly roving about.

Rooms, have full sides of the room opening up to the sea (calm seas this time) , buffet meals, mediterenean style :eek:) not for the dieter, though vegetables are always available.

manta not likely, but a 1 meter house grouper at 85 ft, with about 5 bat fishes around the groupers lair, with two of the batfish welcoming divers as soon as you get visbility of the "groupies rock" and groups of juvenile baraccuda, yellow tail. A dusk dive on a near dive site would be for sting rays, cuttle fishes, a baraccuda

a nearby dive site with a school of jacks to boot.

:eek:)

paolo

"moal boal" cebu, phillipines

look for the
blue abyss dive shop
the

check out Apo Island

www.apoisland.com

Liberty's good prices and good diving. Veryb quite,small Island though, no power or running water in rooms. They have a generator thats runs for about 5 hours in the evening. Sunsets are breathe taking.

Or check out this place It is south of Dumagette, never been there but it looks nice and it is close to diving on Apo

Island.http://www.antulang.com/new/main.html

Hi.

I only know about the Visayas - Puerto Galera / Mindoro may also be great, don't have a clue - you would need to review that further.

Try to fly into Cebu City directly (cathay is an option from Hong Kong). Moalboal has some great diving around Pescador Island. Great visibility, lots of fish, serious whitetip reefsharks in the early morning at 50 meters (that is a bit of a pity), basically a really nice wall dive. Other sites as well including Ronda Bay, blacktips and tresher sharks (that is a big shark) have been seen there recently. The town itself is nice and friendly but not romantic - the beach was blown away in a 1980s typhoon and although a beach is nearby at 15 min drive, there is none to speak of in Moalboal itself. Accomodation is ample available - of all places, Eve's Place would be my favorite. Nice rooms, open restaurant on the ground floor, really lazy athmosphere, great people. This is the place that has been around since the discovery of Moalboal and its shows - great operation. Their diveshop is called Nelson's and is equally great (no I do not hold shares in their operation) ; nice and good guides.

I spent two days in Moalboal and at the end of my trip an additional two; four days is really enough to dive all places if you dive three times a day. Prices are cheap: Using own equipment, you should be able to make three dives a day for approx USD 30-35 (three dives). Moalboal is reached by taxi from Cebu in say 2.5 hours for approx USD 50, the bus takes a bit longer but is waaaaaay cheaper, something like a few dollars.

Dumaguete on Negros is an additional 4 hours from Moalboal, including bus ride and crossing of the Tarom Strait. There's two nice resorts south of Duma, Atlantis and el Dorado Beach resort. Both have excellent nightdive sites (see discussion on the board re the Duma Pier; mandarin fish!!!) and are the best access point for Apo Island dive trips. Apo Island has great diving, but wouldn;t stay on the Island itself, hassle to get there. The El Dorado Beach resort has a dive shop in it run by a Swiss guy, Sea Explorers (this shop is everywhere in the Visayas - you can buy 10 dive cards you can use at all shops, pretty neat). In my opinion, these resorts are nice for a few days but definately not longer - there is NOTHING to do for a non-diver. Take 6 dives around Apo (2 days) and get out of there would be my suggestion.

From Dumaguete you can take a ferry to Larena on Siguijor (45 min sail), a really, really, really nice, cozy, silent, laid-back, non-touristy island with some diving. You're options are basically the Cocogrove Resort on the Southside withs views over Apo Island, beautiful white beach and a local wall dive spot. In the Northwest corner near the Marine Park, there's two resorts there: Kiwi Dive Resort and another one (immediately next to it on the beach). The one whose name I forgot has funky cottages immediately on the beach; you can go diving with the guys from the Kiwi resort next dives. There is a huge school (500+) of big barracuda's in the marine park - big as in excess of 150 cm. Also blacktips, but haven't met anyone who actually saw them. The island is lovely, definately more romantic than the other two but again - it is really laid-back and diving is limited.

Next option: take the boat from Larena to Bohol or immediately from Cebu to Bohol. Tranfer to Alona Beach (60 mins from the port, easy enough). Alona Beach is basically a collection of resorts on the beachside with a few bars thrown in and a couple of diveshops. Excellent place for diver / non-diver couples because of the nice white beach (in duma, the beach is negros = black). Good for divers cause much more variety than Siguijor and there is some nightlife - you can eat in different places everynight and will meet different people instead of same ones all the time. Diving is great: Balicasag Island, Pangloa Island (used to be famous for the school of hammerheads, but since El Nino, they are missing. Rumours are they are caught in Taiwanese fishing nets. Sink the bastards) and Arco Point - they have found pygmy seahorse there. Accomodation is nice and plentiful and pretty cheap - USD 30 a night gets you something really upscale right on the beach.

If I where to do it again with a imaginative fanatic diving girlfriend, I would do 3 days in Moalboal, travel 1 day to Duma, stay 2 days in Duma to dive Apo, travel 1 day to Siguijor, relax for two days in the place the name whereof I forgot and perhaps make 1/2 dives. That leaves me 14-9 = 5 days which I all would spent in Alona Beach (there is a late evening ferry from Larena to Bohol so you don't loose a day travelling).

If I where to travel with a non-diving girlfriend but would like to have the best chance to see big stuff and dive a lot, I would stay a week in Moalboal and one week in Bohol / Alona Beach.

If I where a casual diver mainly seeking to get out there to spend some quality time with the lady, I would hire that cabin on Siguijor and watch the sun set again and again and again and again and nevermind that beach that at low tide means a half hour walk to the waterfront (hmmm....maybe check out the Cocogrove after a few days).

For other permutations, feel free to send me an e-mail or ask additional questions via this forum.

Bahala na!

Bombarie:
I only know about the Visayas - Puerto Galera / Mindoro may also be great, don't have a clue - you would need to review that further.

Bahala na!

Frogfish - one more thing. Manta's are sporadically seen at the southtip of Cebu Island at a spot called Liloan Point. No specticular diving, not bad either. 2 Hours south of Moalboal.

A whaleshark was sighted around Moalboal in November for a while.

Best chance for whalesharks and mantas is during March/April in Southern Leyte, 7 hour boatride + 4 hour busride from Cebu. Check www.leyte-divers.com and ask Gunther - he is a nice guy who set up shop there. German, very experienced but bring your own regulator - his rental stuff was crap last summer (crap as in: leaking more than you want to swallow).

Have fun!

If I were you I'd stick to Boracay.

There is some very nice diving at Yapak and the island is probably the most luxurious / romantic of the various spots in the Philippines. There are definitely better and more diverse locations to dive but if I were looking for a romantic getaway - I'd compromise the diving and go for the romance!

Alternatively, as I think was mentioned above, go to Cebu and spend a few days in one of the nicer places on mactan island (Shangri La, Plantation Bay, etc.). The diving isn't great but I've stayed at both places and they are very nice. You could then jump off very easily to Bohol, Malapascua, Moalboal (tried it last summer - better diving around IMHO) even Dumaguete if you don't mind a full day's travel.

Have fun!

" . . . last minute romantic dive trip with my wife"

"My fiance may compromize . . ."

Hmmmm - tough position you are in. Trying to please the romantic wife and thrill the diving girlfriend, looks like you'll have your hands full for a couple of weeks :wink:

All - Thanks very much for all the useful information.

Interestingly enough, my wife to be / buddy told me that she had actually booked flights to Sipadan ! Just have to figure out where we will be staying...

Frogfish - you are one lucky happy diver.

Dove for 4 days at Sipadan in 2002 with Borneo Divers (head office in Kota Kinabula), excellent operation. There is a number of resorts on the island, but having walked around the island (20 minute stroll), I feel the Borneo Divers spot is the best one (they were there first, kinda makes sense) as from the beach in front of their resort (the central canteen and dive gear shacks), it is a fine 30 meter walk to the sea at low tide (its maybe 10 at high tide). Walk another 30 meters into the sea and there it is: The Drop Off. 600 vertical meters of wall, some end up with vertigo if they see it for the first time. This place was rated as best beach dive in the world and have to say: never saw anything like it (but then, I still have a lot to see).

Food was excellent as well, fresh fish and fresh meat or chicken buffets, enough for everyone, great diveguides - really, really top rated experience.

When I was there in June 2002, we walked in the Kota Kinabalu HQ of Borneo Divers and negotiated a deal with them. If you just walk in, you get the "walk in rate" dependent on the occupancy. I recall this made a huge difference, we ended up paying USD 120 per day including all equipment and the return flights from KK to Tawau and back. If you'd book it in advance, it would easily be 50% more, I guess - maybe you can check their website (dunno address) or give ' em a call.

There should be enough place - if not, you can always take one of the other resorts I would think - two fit anywhere, right? (like Abdullah Sipadan something - that where the Japanese divers got kidnapped - is next door to Borneo Divers and right in front of the Hanging Gardens dive spot - famous for its obnoxious turtles).

Wouldn't spent two weeks on Sipadan though - your body would not accept 5 dives a day for 14 days and once your on the island, your mind is only in one state: dive dive dive. You have to protect yourself...

Have fun and watch out for those hammerheads. They ARE out there

regards - Arjan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom