Philippines identified as world's epicenter of marine biodiversity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
He actually says the Indo-Malay-Phlippines Archipelago (IMPA)...

IMPA is the center for global biodiversity, but the paper says the Philippines is the center of the center...

Thanks for posting the link to the paper doubleD, makes for some very intriguing reading.

Just came back from a month-long trip to RPI (Panglao/Balicasag I.; Subic Bay Wreck Class) and Eastern Archipelagos of Indonesia (http://www.odysseadivers.com/ver2/media_video.php).
I saw more pelagics in two days of diving at Balicasag (schooling trevally & barracuda; reef sharks and large rays) than I did in 12 days of Liveaboard Diving across Halmaherah-Raja Ampat. Halmaherah looks overfished with lots of coral damage (dynamite & cyanide fishing). The reefs of Raja Ampat have abundant and rich coral & small fish/invertebrate life, the most variety I've seen so far in SE Asia --and I do hope the Indonesian Gov't does a better job protecting these reefs-- but, I saw more sharks & pelagics in just four dives in the Bohol Region than I did in thirty-three dives spanning Lembeh in N. Sulawesi to Sorong in West Papua. . .

ahhh, kev, now you know which country to spend money on the next time youll be diving in asia. :)

Yes, I believe it's better economically to spend a dive trip to the Philippines or Thailand in SE Asia right now (with the way the US Dollar is falling elsewhere in exchange currency) . . .greater opportunities to see a wide variety of Marine Life, both big and small, for a better price.

and oh well, filipinos are better host, i firmly believe. :)

Back
Top Bottom