Philippines or Indonesia-which do you prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ishbaby:
There's tubbataha in the philippines Jenny. . . :)

The philippines is a better choice, in terms of diving and beaches, and the people too .. . . and of course Im biased. :D

Very true Ish...there is Tubbataha, but the drawback to Tubba is that is only accessible a couple months out of the entire year. I'm going in '07, I'll let you know how it is!! :wink:

Hi paolo and jonix. Not saying one is better than the other just different. I think you see more whale sharks in the philippines and there seems to be a bigger concentration of wrecks there. A dive guide in Leyte saw a baby whale shark there in sogod bay a couple of months ago which seemed pretty cool to me and a mate saw a dugong of Bunaken Indo last year. Both countries have great dive sites. The Sabang vibe doesn't do it for me even though there is great diving there considering the pressure. Where else can you find frog fish swimming under the floating bar? Indonesia seems to have a more exotic feel to it. It is easier to get around the Philippines but sometimes there is adventure in getting to your destination. As Scubajen says Komodo is world class but I only snorkled there and hope to go back next month to dive. Bajo Dive and Reefseeker have dive shops near the dock in Labuanbajo . My favorite is papua but that takea a lot of time or money. I hope to go back there with a portable compressor one of these days. I also really like hanging around in southern mindanao and diving with the locals there. There the picnic and the food is the primary objective and the diving is an afterthought. Those Filipinos are the cool!

dutchpickle:
And why. Just curious.

Hello dutchpickle, I've been to Komodo and Bohol and dive wise, I definitetly prefered Komodo. The people were great in both places. But Komodo has a more complete food chain, with more big stuff. In general, I always try to pick the place with the lowest population density and closest proximity to deep water. And of course it would have to be in the triangle of PNG, Indo and Philippines. Like you I prefer PNG, which I think has the best diving in the world. I've spent many weeks there and dived all over the country, amazing diversity and the biggest fish I've ever seen. And surprise! it has the lowest population of the 3 countries...
I bet Mindanao is good, lowest population of all the Philippine islands. I would love try it. Too bad I can't go, thanks to a handful of fanatics. Maybe someday... -Andy

silent running:
Hello dutchpickle, I've been to Komodo and Bohol and dive wise, I definitetly prefered Komodo. The people were great in both places. But Komodo has a more complete food chain, with more big stuff. In general, I always try to pick the place with the lowest population density and closest proximity to deep water. And of course it would have to be in the triangle of PNG, Indo and Philippines. Like you I prefer PNG, which I think has the best diving in the world. I've spent many weeks there and dived all over the country, amazing diversity and the biggest fish I've ever seen. And surprise! it has the lowest population of the 3 countries...
I bet Mindanao is good, lowest population of all the Philippine islands. I would love try it. Too bad I can't go, thanks to a handful of fanatics. Maybe someday... -Andy

Dude Mindanao might be a blast...literally
although there are a fewer terrorist hotspots, still might be a pretty hairy experience from touchdown. But if you ask me, I like the thrill.
The pay-off can be great tho, Camiguin Diving supposed to be less of a secret everyday

dutchpickle:
I also really like hanging around in southern mindanao and diving with the locals there. There the picnic and the food is the primary objective and the diving is an afterthought. Those Filipinos are the cool!

and we're not? :huh:

silent running:

come as a pasaway diver (PPD) and Paul partridge will take care of your diving there. he's got a resort down there.

oh you're cool Paulo, you and the rest of the PPD. :multi:

There was a thread in another forum about the 100 best dive sites in the world. http://www.scubatravel.co.uk/topdiveslong.html
Puerto Galera even beats Tubbataha in the list. Walang Anilao. And I have been to Richelieu Rock, Similans, Vietnam and Anilao, Mabini seems to be better. Galera even is above Komodo. You can cast your vote so this seems to be by how many tourist have visited the place. So even if you have only been diving in one place, you can vote.
Well, Kent Carpenter seems to think we are the Center of the Center of Marine Shorefish Biodiversity.
There is a dive being organized to Coco's from the Philippines this October. Has anyone been there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom