Phillippine's Customs Agents SEIZING DIVE GEAR on Departure !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently read a VERY DISTURBING report on the Singledivers.com site:

Best of Philippines - Your Trip Reports - SingleDivers.com Surface Interval INDEX

Best of Philippines - Your Trip Reports - SingleDivers.com Surface Interval INDEX

Unfortunately, I must make you aware of Philippine custom agents confiscating dive equipment [mostly dive computers & reg-s] from carry-on luggage when departing. Prior to departing the 'Siren' we were warned this could happen. Fortunately when I left, I rearranged my pack to include those items into my 2nd checked bag. I have since spoken to a LDS owner, who confirmed, custom agents had attempted to confiscate his gear, but he, too repacked it into a checked bag.

I will be writing letters to the scuba mags, concerning this topic.

Sadly, my first trip to the Philippines, may also be my last.

.......does anyone have any information on this situation ? It sounds like an outrageous ripoff to make a fortune in blatant theft/resale of expensive dive gear from helpless tourist divers !!! Unfreaking believable !!!

I have not had this happen nor have I heard about this. My most recent return from Manila was April 10th this year. I had a Petrel, Suunto DX, and an Apeks XTX100 w/ alternate in my carry-on.

I have never had Customs agents look at any of my bags at departure on any of my past trips. Security X-ray to enter the terminal, security X-ray after immigration, and then final security X-Ray screening for US Carrier flight (Delta) at the departure gate (same process at Terminal 1 and 3).

I was there in January last year and didn't have a problem with my regs, computers and cameras all in my carry-on. I'd love to know the reason the customs agents gave when they tried to confiscate the items and how the issue could then be solved by including the gear in your checked bag.

Are there any first-hand reports of this happening, other than people who heard about it? Repacking into the checked bag, as per the LDS story, doesn't sound like confiscation attempts to me. Sounds like they (customs or just security?) said check it or you can't bring it on the flight, which equals leaving it with them.

I'm not one to trust customs or security agents, and I have seen many reports of the bullet story, but this one sounds much stranger to me.

This was posted in the Scubaboard Invasion Thread:

Note: Carry-On Luggage Restriction: Effective July 1, 2015 Philippines Office for Transportation Security has issued new rules that include ‘Scuba Diving Equipment’ (including regulators) on the list of blunt instruments that are not to be in carry--- on/cabin baggage on flights originating within the Philippines. Please ensure that all scuba equipment is secured within checked---in baggage on all domestic flights and on all departing international flights.

Packing, Travel and Diving Tips for the SB Invasion to the Philippines

Never ever had any problem with dive computer and mask over last 18yrs(several times every year). I bet most of those monkeys couldn't tell the differences between a watch and dive computer!!!
As for the regulator, always pack them in the checked luggage.

There is no Customs upon departure.

I understand this may be sen by some as nitpicking, but this seemingly small discrepancy makes the story very shakey.

I have had Philippines TSA Agents try to "worm out of me" some small carry on gifts I carried. Maybe if you look and act like a newborn, some people will try to take advantage of you.

Of course, these were the same idiots that let me get into the Philippines Air departure lounge with a knife in my pocket.

thanks for info....

In Baghdad International Airport I had to put dive magazines in with the dive computers and regulators so I could show these guys what the gear was used for. Scuba Diving has not taken off yet in Iraq. :)

Once flying from Dubai to Bangkok they would not let me carry-on my computers and regs. They were in a Pelican case so I just put a lock on the case and sent it as check-in. I was a little nervous about thief but every thing worked out all right.

I never been to PI, but an planning it so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom