Phobias?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amber

Contributor
Reaction score
Why do so many people have a phobia, or atleast a fear of sharks?

People are more likely to get killed in a car accident than be killed, or even attacked by a shark. I don't know, I guess it irritates me that people get freaked out over such things.

In my opinion:

Television, Movies, Newspapers,...... MEDIA

How often do you read in a Newspaper about someone doing a shark dive where nothing happened...just the sharks swimming around?

Not that often and if there is one it's somewhere in the back of the newspaper in small print in a corner.

But as soon as there is a shark attack it's on the front page in bold letters.

All those shark movies (Deep Blue Sea, Great White..) haven't helped much either to take away people's fear of sharks.

All the time you see pictures of sharks "digging" into a piece of dead fish with blood everywhere.

No wonder people are afraid!

I'm always amazed when I see them; doesn't matter which size!

Well I don't know if its cuz of the sharks exactly, but I am scared to go into the ocean at night. Yep, that right, I'll dive in caves, but I won't do an ow dive in the ocean at night, I never have. I have been on a twilight dive once and I freaked, well started to freak. i was very uncomfortaqble. i won't even do a night time snorkel form shore. My ow class went to West Palm on our 'graduation' trip and the instructor was going to take everyone on a night snorkel outside the hotel we were at and i freaked before i even was in the water. I was very nervous and ended up sitting on shore alone, crying, while everyone else snorkeled.

Oh and not really dive related, but...I'm also afraid of frogs.

Wendy,
I'm sorry to hear about your fear of the ocean at night. It is significantly different from the daylight ocean. If you think can overcome your fear, I would highly recommend it. Until then, there are plenty of things to do on land at night.

usless trivia- More people annually are attacked by squirrles in Central Park than are attacked by sharks

scuberd once bubbled...

usless trivia- More people annually are attacked by squirrles in Central Park than are attacked by sharks

LMAO you've GOT to be kidding me?!

Well, according to the NCRA (National Cockroach Research Agency) more people get a heart attack when they see a Roach than the ones who die from a Shark Attack...

I think Jaws really did it for us shark lovers... :wacko:

As a matter of fact, I went diving in the Maldives praying to see a couple of sharks while my wife was absolutely TERRIFIED of the IDEA that we might run into some!!! It sure did ruin diving for us!

A Shark Underwater is the most gracious sight you can ever see... all I can say is WOW....

Wendy once bubbled...
Well I don't know if its cuz of the sharks exactly, but I am scared to go into the ocean at night. Yep, that right, I'll dive in caves, but I won't do an ow dive in the ocean at night, I never have.

Oh and not really dive related, but...I'm also afraid of frogs.

Hello thet Wendy

okay, I have never seen SHark yet while am diving, however, I have no idea what would be my reaction if i see one, probably i would just be like " oooooh **** and sit still " , as long as night diving, TRUST MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, it is way different than day light diving, couple weekend ago, we went to an island and we slept over , and i decided to dive at night since i havent done it before, my friends, tried to talk me out of it, and they said that they have never seen anyone dive here at night, so i said to them, well, there is always would be first one:) anyways, i talked in friend of mine to dive with me, he was kind of scared in the begining, but after 6-7 feet diving he was okay, then we started going a littel deeper, trust me, he LOVED IT JUST AS I DID..IT WAS SOMETHING.. specially when your light hit the rocks and fish..ooooh...lets go Wendy..hehe

=-)

Really! I would love to be in the water with a shark (still have not had the chance yet). The ONLY thing I am afraid of in the water is Jelly Fish! Sharks you can see... but jellies (at least the small ones) are practically invisible until they are stinging you! You could count me in for shark encounters any day of the week, but if the local reports show Jelly Fish warnings, I’m not getting wet!

One of the most awesome sights I ever saw diving took place on a night dive. We giant-strided off the platform and headed to the bottom - a white patch of sand layed just below us about 50 ft. The very bright helogen lights from the boat lit up the entire area in a deep blue. I started flashing my light around at the surrounding reef when it caught a turquoise blue oval moving through the water about 50 ft. away heading in our direction. I'm used to the red-eye reflection of large tarpon, but this was the first time I ever saw this color of blue reflecting from an eye. Then out of the gloom glided this large ( 6-7 ft.) shark, very slowly. He swam through this ethereal blue scene like a ghost. I didn't even want to blink for fear I would miss any part of this picture. Then he disappeared into the gloom as quietly as he appeared. I was so awestruck by this scene, that I didn't raise the video cam I held in my hand to capture this. I do know that if I had, it would never have done justice to this whole picture. Worse yet, I might have flicked on my on-board lights and ruined the total atmosphere.

Barracuda2

Back
Top Bottom